Thursday 21 September 2017

On the Moon

So, here's the thing.  I made this card last weekend, but then decided not to enter it in the Innovation category of the MFT Card Design Superstar challenge, because there's nothing terribly innovative about it and I don't usually make cards like this, so there's the uncertainty factor 😄

But today's the last day and I have umm-ed and ahh-ed now for four days and finally decided 'what the heck'.  Got nothing to lose, so here goes.

This card was a bear to photograph.  As the front panel is shorter than the back, it couldn't stand up nicely, so it's actually leaning back against the back of my light box.  Here's the front of the card:


Nothing to see here, folks!  But wait,  what is that hole-y crater-filled piece?  Why, it's the moon's surface - created with distress inks, Distressed Patterns stamps set and the Oval Shadows dies.  The top layer is popped up on foam tape and the bottom layer is colored a bit darker to indicate they are craters.

When you open the card, this is what you see:


Yep, the adorable little astronaut from Space Explorer is on an action wobbler (which you can't see in action, of course) above the moon.  The galaxy background was created with Brushos with white paint flicked over the top once it was dry.  I then over-stamped with the stars from Somebunny I Love using silver ink.  The astronaut and planet were colored with Copic markers and as I said earlier, the astronaut is on an action wobbler.

So that's it!  For better or worse, I'm entering this card.  There are some absolutely amazing cards in all three categories and it's been fun and challenging to push myself.  If nothing else, I've got two cards I'm quite proud of to give away.

Ironically, my usual style is CAS and that is the category I didn't enter!  I had an idea in my head and tried it out last night, but it wouldn't work.  Stamping after a long day at work is never a good idea for me.

Thanks so much for visiting.  If you haven't already, please head over to MFT and check out the wonderful entries (not to mention their fabulous products!) 

I'm going to link this up to Simon Says Stamp's Pop It Up challenge (action wobbler) and the Balloons challenge at Seize the Birthday.




Products used:

Stamps:  Space Explorer, Distressed Patterns, Interactive Labels, Somebunny I Love (MFT)
Ink:  Intense Black, Antique Linen, Pumice Stone Distress Inks, Antique Linen Distress Oxide, silver
Cardstock:  White, Bristol Smooth, X-Press It, watercolor paper
Dies:  Oval Shadows, Stitched Cloud Edges
Accessories:  Copics, white acrylic paint, Brushos

Cheers
Karren


16 comments:

lostinpaper said...

I knew there was going to be something fantabulous inside, how wonderful and good luck Karren!

Kara Lynne said...

That's fantastic, Karren! I love those craters and gorgeous sky! So fun how you hide the scene with the cloud cover!

Dotty Jo said...

What a gorgeous card! Jo x

Linda Callahan said...

Omg you are a genius! This is one fabulous card! Love how the show is on the inside! Beautiful space background!

JoAnn said...

Fabulous card. Love the space background and that adorable spaceman. Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday.

Barb Ghig said...

As one of your biggest fans, I have to say...This card is FABULOUS, Karren! When I saw the craters I couldn't wait to see what you created on the inside, and I love it! Very innovative design, and as always, your Copic coloring is flawless! I also love the effects of Brushos for the galaxy background with your silver stars, and that you placed your cute little astronaut on an action wobble...Awesome card, my friend! Best of luck to you in the contest!!!

I Card Everyone said...

Now don't you wish they had included the words 'lift, and off' in those sentiments!? Well, it's perfect just as it is, Karren - I do love that little astronaut - what a delightful moon-walker he is!
=]

Maikreations said...

Awesome card and I think using the drop shadows as craters definately counts as innovative! Good luck and happy crafting :-) Maike

Teresa Kline said...

adorable, such a fun little scene....nicely done! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

blog-paperie blooms
ig-2klines

sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

Susanne Vargas said...

I'm glad you entered it because this card is so much fun and beautifully made! Brilliant idea! Good luck!

Unknown said...

I love how you have made the moon! It's so cool. Really great card :)

Cara said...

Wow, just stunning, love all the fabulosity hidden inside x

Jen W. said...

If your name doesn't appear on the winners list then there's something wrong with the world. This is BRILLIANT, Karren!!

Trina P. said...

Adorable card. Love the partial cut on your front panel. Good luck.

Mac Mable said...

So eye catching, so creative and love all the fun elements on your wonderful card x

Patti said...

Well this card is a WINNER in my book!! adorable and totally innovative moon surface! Amazing job on the space you created too!! A+++++

Thank you for joining us at Seize The Birthday!!

Patti