Thursday 21 February 2019

About You

Hi!  It's my turn to host the challenge at Freshly Made Sketches and as is my preference, I've come up with a very CAS sketch.  And I was inspired by my team-mate Kim's card for my sketch.

I needed a birthday card for my mother, and as always, I try to make cards for my parents extra special.  



I've had this Sketched Flowers set for a few months and this is the first time I've used it.  I stamped it onto X-Press It card and colored it with Copics and Prismacolor pencils.  I then created a mask for the image and after adding that, I blended some Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide ink over the top.  In hindsight, I wish I'd used the origianl Distress Ink because the oxide dulled down the stamped outlines that were still visible outside the mask, so I had to go over the whole image with a black pen - talk about nerve-wracking!


My original intention when I came up with the sketch was to allow for the use of the gorgeous big sentiment dies, but in this case, the words covered too much of the image so I chose a big stamp instead and stamped it in Versafine Onyx Black.  To make it stand out from the image, I clear-embossed the sentiment and added a shadow to the letters with gray Copic marker.  I then added the rest of the sentiment and set about putting the card together.

However, it still looked a bit bare so I die-cut a frame out of it using two rectangle dies and added foam tape behind the outer frame and the centre panel and finally called it done.


Thanks for visiting!  The DT have made some gorgeous cards with my sketch so I hope you'll check them out.  

I'm linking this up to Seize the Birthday's Anything Goes challenge as well as The Flower Challenge to use your latest stamps.  I haven't been buying much in the way of craft supplies lately so while these stamps are a few months old, they are my newest floral stamps.



Products used:

Stamps:  Sketched Flowers (SSS), Shenanigans (CASual Fridays)
Ink:  Amalgam, Versafine Onyx Black, Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide
Cardstock:  White, X-Press It
Dies:  Infinity Rectangle Dies (Hero Arts)
Accessories:  Clear EP, Copics

Cheers
Karren



21 comments:

Betty said...

beautiful card, Karren - fantastic coloring!

Jacquie Southas said...

Gorgeous design, Karren! Your sentiment fits so perfectly within the framed panel.

Dotty Jo said...

Stunning card, Karren - I love it, Jo x

Linda Callahan said...

Total wow factor! This is glorious - oh those flowers! Loved the sketch!

Barb Ghig said...

You have definitely made a special card for your mother, Karren...and she is sure to love it! Beautiful Copic coloring, as always, and I love how you raised your focal panel...it looks amazing with your fabulous sketch! Love your crisp, clean sentiment, too...WOW!!!

JAS424 said...

This is such a pretty and inspiring card. I would love to know how you created the layers--with the bottom layer stamped as well.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

A great sketch Karren and a fabulous card! Love those bright flowers against the oxide blue and the frame and sentiment make the whole thing pop. Gorgeous!

Dawn T said...

What a stunner. Love how you made a frame and centre panel. Gives it an amazing look

Darnell said...

The brilliant coloring of this sensational card just takes my breath away, Karren! WOW! Love the whole design!! Hugs, Darnell

Jen Mitchell said...

WOW! I love the offset rectangles on this! Not to mention the card is so colorful and so beautiful. I would be so nervous cutting the rectangles because I'm sure that if I tried that my die would slip and I'd have wonky rectangles as a result! I'm sure your Mum thought this was the most precious thing ever!

Cathy said...

Stunning card Karren, beautifully coloured and a gorgeous design. Thankyou for playing along at Seize the Birthday too, Cathy x

Rachel Vass said...

Such a gorgeous card Karren. Beautiful design and colours. Thanks for sharing this with us at The Flower Challenge.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Fabulous framing of this gorgeous bouquet of flowers, love the fresh colors and the awesome shading on the sentiment.
Thank you for playing with us at THE FLOWER CHALLENGE, hope you play again soon.
XO

Jen Brum said...

This card is so stunning! I just love those flowers and your colouring is amazing! Your mom is going to absolutely love this!!! Thanks for such a great sketch this week!

Amy O said...

Well, you definitely succeeded in making an extra special card for your Mom! This card is amazing! I never would have guessed you had to go back over the stamped images with a black pen. Mine would have definitely been tossed in the wastebasket if I had to do that.

Melissa Grant said...

Just beautiful!! ❤

Viv said...

Such a gorgeous card and such pretty flowers too Karren.Thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge'...so lovely to see you in our gallery again ;) Viv DT xxx

Jen Timko said...

This card is over the top amazing! I love it so much. The layered rectangles are brilliant and I will now be stealing this idea to use. Needless to say, your coloring is stunning! Thanks for a great sketch this week.

Nancy Penir said...

Your coloring is amazing. Love the shaped effect too!

Aileen said...

Hi sweetie, I have been away but just wanted to drop in and say what a stunning, eye catching creation this is. I love the colouring of the flowers and that large sentiment with the light shadow and then how you die cut the front, just perfect. xxx Hugs Aileen

Kim S said...

I LOVE these flowers - they've never quite made it into my stash but you've inspired me!! Of course, I'd have to totally copy your card! (I'm glad MY first card inspired YOUR card!!)