Saturday 22 September 2012

Muted Sympathy

This card came about via a very long-winded process.  I wanted to try the technique challenge at Hand Stamped Sentiments which is crayon rubbed embossing.  But, I didn't have any white crayons, so pulled out a gray crayon and proceeded with that.  After rubbing the crayon onto the Very Vanilla cardstock, I thought the gray crayon might work with the color challenge at Fab Friday - So Saffron; Sahara Sand and Basic Gray.  Then I thought I'd kill three birds with one stone and use the embossed panels in this week's Freshly Made Sketch challenge.  So a three-fer!  That doesn't happen often and it's a bonus when it does LOL.

I had the idea to use a sentiment in the center circle so went looking through my sets.  This set, Thanks for Caring, was perfect for the muted colors.


Apart from the bow, this card came together reasonably quickly.  I am definitely bow-challenged.  This one looks okay if you close one eye and squint through the other LMAO.  I moistened the tails to make them crinkly.

Here are the three challenges I used for today's card:




The crayon rubbed embossing is fun and easy, so if you haven't tried it yet, I urge you to have a go.

Thanks for looking:

Products Used (all Stampin' Up!):

Stamps:  Thanks for Caring
Cardstock:  Basic Gray; Very Vanilla
Ink:  So Saffron; Sahara Sand
Accessories:  So Saffron; Basic Gray markers; Circle Scissor; Finial Press EF; crayon; brayer; Very Vanilla Seam Binding.

Edited to add:  This card was an Artist Pick over at Hand Stamped Sentiments.  Thanks, guys!

Cheers
Karren



13 comments:

Krista said...

I'm glad you tried the technique despite not having a white crayon. I have 3 young kids and it took me forever to find a dumb white crayon. Anyways, I like how you made the background into panels and it really came together nice....even the bow looks fab and I didn't even squint. :) Thanks for joining us at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

Patrice said...

Fabulous card Karren. Good on you for trying this technique with a grey crayon - it turned out beautifully. Always a bonus when you can combine a few challenges too. Well done.

Christine Blain said...

Wow, this is REALLY beautiful, Karren. I can say that even after looking at your bow with both eyes open!!

Jen Timko said...

I think this is simply fabulous, Karren!! Personally a BIG fan of that bow! :-) Glad you joined us this week at FMS (and great job with the other challenges too).

Amanda Mertz said...

This is gorgeous! Love the crayon rubbed panels and the bow looks great to me....and I'm bow challenged too. I'm hard pressed to make a bow so I usually stick with knots! Thanks for sharing with us at Fab Friday!

Diane Vander Galien said...

Beautiful!!! The technique looks perfect for your background panels!!! The stamp is also perfect for your design!!! Just Gorgeous!!! Thanks for playing along with Hand Stamped Sentiments, Diane

Jen Mitchell said...

Beautiful! I love how the crayon resist looks on your strips. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Jen Sannes said...

So very lovely! This is so understated and elegant - well done!

Elizabeth Price said...

Wow, what a super cool way to approach the technique challenge. I love how you cut the strips to create a gorgeous background. Your card is truly beautiful. Thanks for playing along with this week's challenge at Hand Stamped Sentiments. Smiles, Elizabeth

Erika Clark said...

So pretty and vintage-inspired with your crayon rubbing. And bravo for combining challenges, what fun! Thanks for playing with us at HSS! Erika

Nance Leedy said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Karren! I love these colors and you've used them perfectly for this soft and serene sympathy card. I think your bow is beautiful just as it is! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Rita W said...

Beautiful and elegant! What a perfect combination of the challenges. Thanks for playing with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

inkedx2 said...

This is a very pretty card! It makes a pretty sympathy card. Thanks for playing with us this week at HSS.