Thursday 20 December 2018

White Poinsettia


Hi and welcome to the last Freshly Made Sketch challenge of 2018!  This challenge, designed by my Antipodean neighbour, Narelle Farrugia, will stay open until 31 December so you have plenty of time to play along. 



Now I really think Narelle was messing with my head when she came up with this sketch.  I have a fear of angled panels on cards and I really dislike ovals 😄 To combat both those obstacles, I came up with this card:


So the angled panels are white-on-white and not too noticeable and the oval transformed into a poinsettia, so all is well with the world again!    To add some interest both the angled panels were die-cut with a stitched rectangle die and then embossed - one with a 3D woodgrain folder and one with a knitting pattern folder.  I added them to the card base after dry-embossing that with a stitched rectangle die.


The poinsettia pieces were cut with white cardstock and then I spritzed them with gold shimmer spray before assembling the flower.  I added that to the card base and then gold-embossed the simple sentiment.  Here's a better shot of the texture in the background.


Thanks for visiting!  The DT have outdone themselves for our last challenge of the year, so I hope you'll head over and check them out.

I'm playing along with Sweet Stampin' Challenge who are looking for last minute Christmas cards.  Luckily this has a stamped sentiment on it!😄

Photobucket

Products used:

Stamps:  Snowglobe Sentiments (MFT)
Ink:  Versamark
Cardstock:  Smooth White (MFT)
Dies:  Perfect Poinsettia, Stitched Rectangle Stax (MFT)
Accessories:  Lumber EF (Tim Holtz), Knitted Pattern EF (Richard Garay), Antique Gold Embossing Powder (SSS)

Cheers
Karren




13 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

A gorgeous stand-in for that oval, Karren! Bravo!
=]

Kim S said...

Absolutely stunning! That hint of glimmer is so elegant.

Amy O said...

Elegant and gorgeous! I love the creative use of embossing folders to distinguish the two panels, and the glimmer spray is beautiful! Thanks for the vocabulary lesson -- Antipodean was a new word for me. :) Wishing you a wonderful Christmas, Karren!

Darnell said...

Karren, you sure showed Narelle she can't mess with your head with your exquisite take on her sketch! I'm so in love with your W-O-W poinsettia card and all the schplatters, texture, and angles!

I'm also in love with the beautiful Christmas card you sent! The foiled AI behind the Christmas symbols is gorgeous!! Thank you and Happy Holiday Hugs, Darnell

Wanda Cullen said...

Wow, this is so stunning with the white on white! I had to laugh because I'm not a fan of ovals either...not sure why, but rarely use them! Thanks so much for the gorgeous Christmas card you sent! That cover plate die is gorgeous and one I've not seen before. May you and yours have a blessed and merry Christmas!

Linda Callahan said...

Wow all that glorious white looks wonderful! Gorgeous card!

Dawn T said...

So elegant Karren. Love the different textures on your Poinsettia and the two panels. Merry Christmas

Aileen said...

looks amazing my friend, love the design. Worked out perfectly and your colours make it so elegant.

Laurie said...

Your card is beautiful; one would never know you did not like angled papers! I had to confirm my prediction for the definition of "Antipodean" from the context of your sentence - and I was right, but I too, like Amy, had never heard of the word before. I have the day off today from teaching, but it's true, you learn something knew everyday! :)

Jen Brum said...

Oh Karren! This card is just so breathtaking! I love it! That poinsettia is just gorgeous and I love all the texture! What a perfect Christmas card!

Nora Noll said...

WOWZA!! I LOVE the touch of gold on the flowers. This card is amazing!!

Jen Mitchell said...

I think this is the first I've heard about your angle and oval phobia! I love how you combat both with this beautiful card. The texture on the angled layers are a great way to show off the white on white and I love that you spritzed a bit of gold onto the poinsettia!

Barb Ghig said...

My apologies for falling so far behind on my visits...This is such a gorgeous Christmas card, Karren! Using texture on your angled panels was genius and your Poinsettia is really elegant...especially with the gold splatters!