Thursday 9 July 2020

Tulips

Today's Freshly Made Sketch is brought to us by Lee Ann Barrett and she has a graphic design for us this week.  I decided to define the sketch elements using masking and ink blending.




I started out by masking off a triangle in top half of the card and sponged Hickory Smoke ink in the gap.  I then moved the masking tape and re-positioned it in the bottom half and repeated the process.  Once that was finished, I removed the tape and lightly sponged ink over the whole panel before placing the stencil down and inking through that.  After the panel was dry, I die-cut it with a stitched rectangle die, stamped the sentiment and then some splatters from the stamp set using Hickory Smoke ink.  I kept the splatters to the left hand side of the card so they would tie in the flowers with the background and sentiment.


The tulips come from a new-to-me stamp set by Close To My Heart.  Originally I was going to color them with Copics but I thought the sketchy look more suited watercolor, so I pulled out a couple of Zig markers and did some very basic coloring.  Once they were dry, I fussy-cut them and created an arrangement.  The flowers are adhered with foam tape.



Thanks for visiting.  The design team have some fun cards so I hope you'll check them out.


Products used:

Stamps:  A Million Little Things (CTMH)
Ink:  Obsidian (Altenew), Hickory Smoke Distress Oxide
Cardstock:  White, Bristol Smooth
Dies:  Stitched Rectangles (Lil Inkers)
Accessories:  Zig Markers, Scribble Script stencil (Donna Downey)

Cheers
Karren

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Love the way you have such an homogeneous appearance. It looks like it was all folded, until you look closely. I really love this card, so different~!

Linda Callahan said...

Wow - you are a master inker - I thought the card was folded as well! Amazing card!

I Card Everyone said...

Karren, I love this for a million reasons: tulips? grey? and the magical way you've created your card! I'd have bet money that your card was folded!
Amazing!!
=]

Amy O said...

Gorgeous flowers and a gorgeous background! You do amazing things with ink!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card. The tulips are so pretty and the background is amazing. Great job inking it.

Dawn T said...

Beautifully done Karren. It is such a pretty card.

Barb Ghig said...

You clever girl...I thought your card was folded! I really love your soft gray-on-gray background and you've colored the tulips perfectly with your Zigs! Another beautiful card, Karren!

Jen Timko said...

Count me in for thinking this was all layered up! WOW!!! And those flowers....well, fabulous!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Wow! Your background is just perfection! I really thought at first glance that you had cut out two triangle panels and popped them up, creating shadows. But no, that is just perfect sponging with gray ink! your card is glorious!