Thursday 30 July 2020

Slim Hugs


Hi and welcome to the latest sketch challenge from the team at Freshly Made Sketches where our hostess, Linda Callahan, has got us all trendy-like with a slimline card design.

I had in mind to put an arrangement of flowers in the bottom left corner and a big sentiment across the body of the card and this is what I came up with:



Instead of a floral arrangment, I used a magnolia branch stamp.  The background was stenciled with Speckled Egg Distress Ink and crackle paste to give a fun texture - but it did warp the cardstock considerably so next time I'll be using thicker card.



The sentiment is stacked 3 high with the top layer being black velvet paper for a lovely luxurious look.

I hope you'll join us this week.  Be sure to check out the wonderful cards made by the rest of the DT.

Thanks for visiting.

Products used:

Stamps:  BAF:  Magnolia (Altenew)
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Rose Petal, Tropical Forest, Rock Collection, Espresso (Altenew) Speckled Egg DI
Cardstock:  White, Black, Black Velvet, B&W Stripes (MFT)
Dies:  Big Hugs (MFT), Slim Diagonal Stitched Rectangles (Pinkfresh)
Accessories:  English Brick Wall Stencil (MFT), Crackle Paste (Tim Holtz)

Cheers
Karren




12 comments:

Judy Rozema said...

I am in love with the background!! That Speckled Egg is the perfect colors for your bricks. Love the pink flower.

Linda Callahan said...

The magnolia is lovely but I am with Judy - the background is fabulous! You always make amazing backdrops!

Amy O said...

Gorgeous! That background is fabulous and your flowers are so pretty. Black velvet paper!?! That sounds amazing!

I Card Everyone said...

Karren, slim, or not so slim, I love the hugs you've shared today!!
=]

Jacquie Southas said...

The stenciled background adds so much depth to this gorgeous design, Karren!

Barb Ghig said...

Your magnolias were the perfect choice for this sketch and I love how you added texture to the background with the brick pattern and crackle paste! Great idea to use velvet for the alphas, too...I've had a few sheets in my stash since last Christmas and need to use it :) Another beautiful card, Karren!

Dawn T said...

Just gorgeous Karren. Slimline cards are really on trend just now. Love the luxurious look to the HUGS die.

Jen Brum said...

What a gorgeous card Karren! That brick background is fantastic and the flowers so pretty! Plus that stripped paper is the perfect accent! Definitely a sweet card!

Jen Mitchell said...

Black velvet for the top layer of the sentiment - I’ll be shopping again because that is genius! And I think the warping thing is because of the larger size of the card stock? Now we all need a super-duper glue! I love the contrast of your dark sentiment with the lovely bricked background and the beautiful magnolia. A beautiful card, for sure!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Just gorgeous, Karren! I love your background- both the crackle paste and the robin's egg color ink are on my list of must haves. It's a beautiful yet subtle background for your gorgeous magnolia branch.

Jen Timko said...

You make this look so easy! That background stenciling is gorgeous! Just the perfect arrangement of elements.

Kim S said...

Gorgeous! I love the softly colored bricks in the background of that magnolia. The big "HUGS" is just right with it all!