Thursday 21 January 2021

Watercoloured Flowers

 I'm here with a card for our newest challenge over at Freshly Made Sketches, where our hostess is Kim Singdahlsen.  I love Kim's sketch and came up with this card using it:





I was trying to sleep one night a few weeks ago and into my head popped the idea that I needed to watercolour some flowers using yellow and orange.  Now, I am not a watercolour artist and to be honest, I try to avoid it, but the next day I pulled out this stamp and a couple of Zig markers and just started colouring and I have to say, I really like the result.  There was no technique to this - I just dabbed on some colours and spread it out with my water brush.

Once it was dry, I fussy-cut the image and set it to one side, waiting for a card to put it on.  I then went and checked the DT blog for FMS and here was Kim's sketch - perfect to showcase these flowers.  I flipped the sketch to fit the way the flowers are facing.




I found some solid-colour cardstock in similar colours and created an ombre look to match the sketch. The sentiment was chosen because (a) it fit in the gap and (b) it was a very simple font as I didn't want to compete with the flowers.  The strips were die-cut with a die from Blueprints 24 which gives a subtle rounded corner.  The card base was embossed with the Subtle embossing folder from SU and the flowers popped up on foam tape.


Thanks for visiting.  Please head over and check out the wonderful cards made by the design team.



Products used:

Stamps:  Sweet Flowers, Painted Butterflies (Altenew)
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Amalgam (Gina K)
Cardstock:  White, Bristol Smooth, Summer Sunrise (PTI), Harvest Gold (PTI), Orange Fizz (MFT)
Dies:  Blueprints 24 (MFT)
Accessories:  Zig Real Brush Markers, Subtle EF (SU)

Cheers
Karren

12 comments:

Cécile RIBON said...

Once again I'm totally wowed by your coloring skills. These sunny bright flowers are stunning.

Judy Rozema said...

Your textured card base is so lovely. But that flower is stunning! I love your card so much!

Amy O said...

Oh, my goodness! I thought this was colored with Copics for sure! I've said it before, but it's still true-- I would love to take coloring lessons from you. Gorgeous card, Karren!

Sharon Madsen said...

This card is STUNNING!!!

I Card Everyone said...

I think you should change direction, and gravitate toward it, Karren! These are so pretty!
=]

Linda Callahan said...

The yellow flowers are gorgeous! This is a beautiful card! I have some zig markers.....maybe I should let them out of their case....lol...

Dawn T said...

So beautiful Karren. The flowers turned out so pretty. Love the way you took the sketch and made this stunner.

Cindy Beach said...

Looks like fabulous coloring to me! I love how you left some white space in the flowers and the colors you chose make this a knock out!

Barb Ghig said...

You've done an amazing job watercoloring these blooms, Karren! Your color palette is so pretty and I love the yellow/Gold and Orange horizontal strips...Another really lovely card! Barb xx

Jen Brum said...

This is such a gorgeous card Karren! Those flowers are so beautiful! The colours are amazing and your colouring is always so perfect! This will definitely brighten someone's day!

Ida said...

On this cold snowy day seeing the bright cheery colors of this card make me feel happy. - I love the ombre effect you created with the 3 strips and how they match the pretty flowers perfectly.

Kim S said...

This is absolutely beautiful - you really do rate as a "watercolor artist"! I love the ombre look of the stripes.