Thursday 12 July 2018

Plaid Birthday

Hello!  Thanks for popping by!  Today's card is for the current challenge at Freshly Made Sketches - designed by none-other than our co-Camp Mum Jen Mitchell.  Jen has got a very interesting sketch for us with lots of room for interpretation.

I decided that those angled panels would be good for a die-cut sentiment, so I went hunting through my dies to find two big dies that say "happy birthday". 



I also wanted to do some stenciling with embossing paste in the background.  I love my stencils but I mostly use them with ink-blending so I wanted to get out the embossing paste and add a touch of color to it.  I filmed the making of this card if you're interested - link down below.

So I colored my embossing paste with Hickory Smoke Distress Ink and then appied it over the Plaid #1 stencil from Carta Bella to a panel of white cardstock cut with a stitched die down one side.  Once that was dry, I added the die-cut sentiment and popped the whole panel up on craft foam for some added dimension.  No embellishments as this is a masculine card.  




All in all, a very quick card (for me!) . You can watch the video over on YouTube or below.



Products used:

Ink:  Hickory Smoke Distress Ink
Cardstock:  White, Black, Cement Gray (MFT)
Dies:  Happy Trio, Happy Birthday (WPlus9) Basic Stitch Lines  (MFT)
Accessories:  Embossing Paste



11 comments:

Cindy H. said...

Love your wonderfully styled masculine card!

I Card Everyone said...

Now there's a birthday card worth celebrating, in my favorite colors!! REally cool, Karren!
=]

Darnell said...

What a great take on that interesting sketch, Karren! And you've got an awesome manly card, too! Love the pasted plaid! Thank you for the video! I've done paste exactly once at the Canada retreat and now you've got me all jazzed up to try it again! Hugs, Darnell

Linda Callahan said...

You are so clever! Love how you made that plaid background.....perfect with the diecuts!

Hannelie said...

Love your creative take on the sketch... and love the video too!

JoAnn said...

Great masculine card and great take on the sketch. Love it. Thanks for sharing the video.

Barb Ghig said...

Great idea to angle your scripty sentiment and I LOVE your plaid background! I also love that you used embossing paste with your stencil...it adds so much texture to your design! Another stunning card, my friend!

Jen Timko said...

That texture from the embossing paste is fabulous!!! Perfect take on the sketch.

Jen Mitchell said...

Leave it to you to create a card for this sketch using nothing but die cuts and a fantastic stencil. I am now, of course, off to add that stencil to my wish list! #enablersunite

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is awesome! I love the stencilled background - it's something I never remember to do.... The diecut sentiments are the perfect choice for the sketch.

Kim S said...

Fabulous! Somehow it's simple and full of fun details all at the same time!