Friday 12 June 2020

Card for Matthew

Hi and welcome to our newest challenge at Fusion.  For my card I mainly used the photo but did incorporate a lot of the sketch elements as well.



I made this card for my son, Matthew.  Next Tuesday, it will be a year since he passed and that is a huge thing and will be a hard day to get through.  In so many ways, the last year has dragged as we've had to adapt to deal with this massive loss, but it still feels like yesterday and the shock and horror is still as fresh as it was then.  I have found ways to cope and get through each day, but things will never be the same.  

Onto my card.  I left some elements overhanging the edges because, of course, this card will not be posted.  The butterflies were stamped and colored with Copics and then die-cut.  On the card base, I first stamped and embossed the dot pattern and then as I was assembling the card, I wanted more dots and splatters to mimic the inspiration photo, so I got out some gouache and distress paints and splattered away.


The sentiment was die-cut three times and stacked and adhered to a strip of woodgrain patterned paper matted onto black.  All the butterflies are popped up on foam tape and I didn't add any embellishments.

This card is for you, Matthew.  Love you always, son 💔



Products used:

Stamps:  Butterflies (Avery Elle), Perspective (Tim Holtz)
Ink:  Intense Black (SSS), Versamark
Cardstock:  Soft Stone (PTI), Black Licorice (MFT), X-Press It, Wood & Notebook Basics (Snap)
Dies:  Butterflies (Avery Elle), Missing You (Kat Scrappiness)
Accessories:  Copics, White EP, Brusher Pewter Distress Paint, Chipped Sapphire Distress Paint, White Gouache

10 comments:

marilyn said...

Your card is lovely and expresses your loss so well. Wishing you peace...

I Card Everyone said...

A gorgeous card, and lovely way to express how you miss Matthew, Karren... butterflies are the perfect delivery service!
=]

Carol Cel said...

I was attracted to your post because of the beautiful card. Your explanation made it so much more meaningful. My heart and prayers are with you as you and your family journey through your loss.

Linda Callahan said...

Oh my friend....one year of loss....heartbreaking on so many levels. Yet your work continues to shine - the butterflies are gorgeous. Sending love....xox

Barb Ghig said...

Such beautiful butterflies and your Copic coloring is fabulous, Karren! I love the woodgrain panel and how you added all the splatters, too...it's the perfect tribute to Matthew!
I continue to keep you in my prayers, my friend...I know this past year has been very difficult for you ~ Big hugs, Barb xx

Laurie Unger said...

The butterflies are gorgeous! My thoughts are with you! Stay strong.

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh I love this card and I know Matthew would too! You are both always in my thoughts x

Back Porch Stamper said...

Great card!
I enjoy your creativity!

Cindy Beach said...

I love the caring, boldness, strength and beauty I find in your card, Karren. Thank you for continuing to blog throughout this year, as it blesses us!

Wanda Cullen said...

This is such a special card for so many reasons! Gorgeous art design but beyond that, it's a special reminder of a special son you lost! Big hugs!