Thursday 1 August 2024

Colour Blocked Poinsettia

Hi and welcome!  I'm the sketch hostess this week over at Freshly Made Sketches and I went back to my roots for my sketch - colour blocking!  Way back in the late 90's/early 2000's when I started stamping, I was particularly drawn to colour-blocked cards.  So decided to come up with a sketch that has a colour-blocked look.



I also decided to make a Christmas card and luckily, I had all of the floral images and sentiment already stamped and embossed so I really just had to work on the background.  I temporarily taped the three panels together and, using my Stampwheel, stamped over all three panels with a background stamp and Versamark ink, several times.  I then carefully removed the red layer and re-stamped, then removed the green layer and re-stamped to ensure good coverage.  Once that dried, I re-assembled it and adhered it to a card base.


From there it was a simple matter to add the floral elements and the sentiment.  I finished with some pearls.
Thanks for visiting.  I'm keen to see how the rest of the DT interpreted my sketch, so please head on over and check them out.

Products used:

Stamps:  Poinsettia Wishes, Berry Branches (The Ton), Christmas Background (MFT), Poinsettia Bouquets (WPlus9)
Ink:  Versamark, rouge, Crimson, Velvet, Forest Glades, Evergreen, Espresso (Altenew)
Cardstock:  White, Black, Amarena Cherry, Jalapeno Popper, Kraft (MFT)
Dies:  Poinsettia Wishes, Berry Branches (The Ton)
Accessories:  Platinum EP, Holiday Pearl Stickers (Honey Bee Stamps)

Cheers
Karren

 

7 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Karren, I LOve color-blocking! and your design using that background stamp was genius! I can't wait to get started!
=]

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

So very lovely, a super take on the sketch. x

Dawn T said...

What a great idea to colour block for the background. It's stunning. And a very pretty poinsettia to showcase the background.

Linda Callahan said...

Fun sketch and beautiful card! You are the real deal with all that stamping - I cheat with DSP!

kiwimeskreations said...

Fabulous use of the technique, Karren, and I love that you added cohesion by stamping the background with the one stamp. A dramatic card with the strong colours. Love it
Blessings
Maxine

donna mikasa said...

The text background adds so much interest as well as that gorgeous poinsettia!

Jacquie Southas said...

Love the text stamp and great color-blocked panels, Karren! Thanks for a great sketch this week.