Sunday 29 December 2013

Gold Leaf Time

I've had some fun the last couple of days sorting through my old, old stamping stuff.  This stuff goes back to the early 2000's and has been in storage under our stairs for the last several years.

I've pulled it all out and gone through it, either donating or dumping heaps of it.  What I did find though was all sorts of specialty papers, like Cold Laminate, Gold Leaf, Copper Shim etc.  I also had heaps and heaps of magazines, so I went through them all, ripping out the pages I wanted to keep and recycling the rest.  It's interesting that in the days before die-cutting and embossing and patterned paper, it was all about the techniques.  There are some cool techniques out there and I've used one of them today - gold leaf on cold laminate.



I'm using the inspiration photo at Just Us Girls and the sketch at Mojo Monday (flipped).

I stamped the image from Collections (an Australian company that make (made?) the most artistic collage-y type stamps) onto Cold Laminate using Black Stazon.  Once that was dry, I peeled off the backing then rubbed gold leaf flakes onto the back using a stiff paintbrush.  I mounted that piece onto Basic Black, then Brushed Copper cardstock.

The card base was clear-embossed on one side using an old HeroArts Manuscript Background stamp.  To finish the card, I wrapped some Linen Thread around the main image and topped that off with a silk vanilla rosette.  In the bottom right corner is a brass charm that I've also had forever, which came from a company called Fancifuls Inc.

Thanks for looking.




Products used:

Stamps:  Collections; Hero Arts Manuscript Background
Ink:  Black Stazon, Versamark
Cardstock:  Basic Black, Brushed Copper, Cold Laminate
Accessories:  Gold Leaf Flakes, Clear EP, Brass Charm (Fancifuls Inc), Linen Thread, Vanilla Rosette (SU)

Edited to Add:  This card was Chic of the Week at Just Us Girls!

Cheers
Karren

10 comments:

Lisa Kind said...

What a cool card! Love it and the technique you used! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

sue t. said...

OMG- I was just thinking gold leaf the other day! And yes wasn't it all about techniques back in the day! I miss those days! I think all the die cuts and pattern papers take away some of the creativity! Thanks for reminding me of those things! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, how fun to go through the old stuff under the stairs! I've never heard of this cold laminate technique, but it's genius and produces amazing results with the gold leafing. I do love the clear embossed background, too. I remember those days before designer paper. I tried a lot of techniques, but never really was very technique oriented. I still have a lot of background stamps, though, and plan to go through and use them. I'm completely hooked on all the beautiful designer papers available these days.

Sharyn Polesel said...

This card is amazing! I've only been stamping for about a year and a half, and I haven't heard of half of the things you were talking about. OMgosh! I've got some research to do. Your card truly is beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us at Just Us Girls!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing effect, Karren ... the gloss of the background embossing is fabulous with the sheen of the gold flakes and copper border! Just shows, whilst trends change, techniques like these are forever! Anita :)

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Wow! This is amazing! That is such a cool technique and how wonderful you came across these from your storage. Thanks for playing with us at JUGS!

Nancy said...

Amazing job and love the Mixed Media look! Really really impressed you have inspired me to get out some of my old stuff! Happy New year and thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Congrats on your JUGS win, Karren! Awesome job on this vintage looking card. I have never heard of the technique you used, so now I have to investigate!

Darnell said...

Congratulations on the win at Just Us Girls, Karren! Your card is stunning and so deserving of the honor!! Hugs, Darnell

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh wow this is stunning! I love all the collections stuff, but don't see much of it around anymore. I'm about to head out to my craft room to clear out my stuff too - not sure if I'll make it out before next week! lol