Thursday 9 November 2023

Frosted Flowers

Hi and welcome!  Jen Mitchell is our hostess over at Freshly Made Sketches this week and she is wanting a square card.  My card isn't totally square because the dimensions were a bit off on the various elements, but it's close to.


I started by die-cutting the tag from In the Navy cardstock and then I ran it through the die-cutting machine with the Japanese Anenome 3D embossing folder.  Once that was done, I lightly rubbed Versamark ink over the raised areas and then sprinkled on Frosted Crystal embossing powder and heat set it.  Once that was completed, I took some Sterling Foundry Wax and dabbed some over the heat embossed areas with my little finger, adding more or less to areas to add interest.  Finally, I heat-set the foundry wax and set the tag aside.  It's got such lovely texture in real life.  I bought the Frosted Crystal EP some time ago and couldn't remember what/who had inspired me to purchase it (typical!) so I've been playing around with it a bit lately.


The rest of the card was fairly simple.  I stamped a background stamp on some aqua paper and corner-rounded two corners.  I adhered that to a white card base and then took a previously prepared embossed panel which I'd sprayed with Frozen Fog mica stain spray.  I die-cut another tag and also a strip which I adhered to a strip of darker aqua cardstock.  I offset the navy tag from the silver one and added some navy baker's twine and glued it to the card.  Finally, I silver heat-embossed the sentiment, stacked it three deep and added that to the card.

This was an interesting exercise, because again I used my Cardmaking Sketchbook, but this time, I didn't take the time to actually plan out the card.  I drew the sketch onto one of the blank pages and put some vague ideas beside it about a Christmas sprig, patterned paper and a vellum band.  In the execution, I changed everything and without having the pre-planned sketch notes to help me, this took twice as long as last week's card.  I wrote a couple of notes in the sketchbook as I was working to remind me.  So my unintentional experiment proved to me that the time spent up-front planning the card saves me a lot of time in the execution.



Thanks so much for visiting.  I hope you'll check out the fabulous cards made by the rest of the design team.

Products used:

Stamps:  To The Wise One (Honey Bee), You Matter (SSS)
Ink:  Versamark, Pool (Altenew)
Cardstock:  White, In The Navy (Gina K), Fresh Aqua (Memory Box)
Dies:  Stitched Traditional Tag Stax (MFT, To The Wise One (Honey Bee)
Accessories:  Sterling Foundry Wax, Frozen Fog Mica Spray Stain (Tim Holtz), Burlap Embossing Folder (Honey Bee), Japanese Anenome Embossing Folder (Lisa Horton), Silver EP, Frosted Crystal EP

Cheers
Karren


 

10 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Karren, I love the frosted look of the raised florals -especially on this fab navy! So much fun texture on this card - still loving that gorgeous, embossed burlap - guess who forgot to add it to her order AGAIN??
=]

Amy O said...

This gorgeous embossing folder and all of your cool supplies which are completely new to me combine for amazing texture on this pretty card. Just lovely, Karren!

Lisa Elton said...

Beautifully done, Karren! Love the frosty blooms on the navy tag!

LeAnne said...

Just gorgeous!

Linda Callahan said...

Wow the texture on the tag is fabulous! Beautifully done!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A gorgeous effect. x

Ida said...

Oh my gosh the texture on your tag is amazing! What a beautiful card.

Jen Mitchell said...

The texture on this card is amazing! And the embossing powder really makes that Japanese Anenome pop! This is a beauty, for sure!

lichazul said...

Absoluty gorgeous card, congrats 😊💐 have a great week

Jen Brum said...

This is such a beautiful card Karren! I just love that embossed tag! The embossing powder looks amazing! Love the colour combination too! So pretty!