Thursday 31 March 2022

Gilded Hello

 Hi and welcome!  Today's Freshly Made Sketch was designed by one of our Camp Mothers, Jennifer Timko and it is really versatile.  I had so many ideas but ended up going with a no-stamping card which let patterned paper, 3D embossing and gilding flakes take centre stage.



The card base is black and onto that I embossed the Tim Holtz Doily 3D embossing folder.  It is really thick and I struggled to find a sandwich that worked to get the really striking 3D effect and I didn't want to risk damaging my Platinum so it's not as pronounced as it could be.  The patterned paper is from the Patina pack from Craft Consortium and I chose a blue-toned paper.  


Down one side of the patterned paper, I adhered some 1/2" score tape then added gilding flakes.  Those suckers fly everywhere, so I was careful to add it while it was all contained in a large container.  I then had the bright idea to gild the sentiment as well.  That was a bit trickier as the secret to gilding is burnishing and I didn't want to damage the delicate die-cut letters.  In hindsight, I should have gilded after I stacked the die-cuts together, but I didn't think of that at the time!  The end result is smoother than it looks in the photo but not as smooth as the strip but I still like the effect.  The important thing is nothing flakes off when you rub it.



I have had gilding flakes for years and never think to use them, so I was happy that a tiny fraction of them was put to use today.




Thanks for visiting.  I hope you'll check out the wonderful cards made by the rest of the design team.

Products used:

Cardstock:  White, Black, Patina (Craft Consortium)
Dies:  Hello Poe Script (Poppy Stamps)
Accessories:  Gilding Flakes, Doily 3D Embossing Folder (Tim Holtz), Warm Pearls (Honey Bee)

Cheers
Karren





4 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

I think I have a jar of gilding flakes - you've given me such beautiful inspiration to try them again! Wait. I also have that paper - one might think we'd been shopping together, Karren... in my dreams!
Really luxurious card!
=]

Dawn T said...

What a lovely card Karren. The gold flakes really made a gorgeous shine to the card.

Linda Callahan said...

Beautiful patterns and textures! I would have no patience with gold flakes! You however do! So pretty!

Jen Brum said...

This card is just gorgeous Karren! I love the embossed background! That gilded sentiment is gorgeous but I'm pretty sure I'd make a mess of it! You just make it all look so beautiful!