Thursday 17 May 2018

Floral Sympathy

Hi and welcome!  It's time for another challenge from the team at Freshly Made Sketches and this week our hostess is the inimitable Linda Callahan.  And has she got a great sketch for us!



When I first saw Linda's sketch, it immediately put me in mind of a fancy-fold card, but as I've said before, I'm too lazy for that sort of nonsense 😆so I decided to keep it pretty simple and use vellum for the top layer.




The photos do not do this card justice - so just pretend, okay?  I used the new Stitched Blooms card kit from MFT and die-cut some of the images in both Bubblegum and Pink Lemonade cardstocks, as well as cutting the leaves from Sour Apple.  I wanted the look of shadows, so cut black versions of everything I'd previously cut from colored cardstock.  I layered the black by slightly offsetting it and then created the bouquet arrangement.  I wanted a curved design and once I was happy with how it was laid out, I used some Press 'n' Seal to hold it all in place while I worked on the rest of the card.



I die-cut a Desert Storm panel and a vellum panel from a stitched rectangle die and also the sympathy words from silver foil cardstock.  So I could add some glue to various parts of the vellum, I first added some Nuvo Jewel Drops to the vellum and set it aside to dry.  Once it was dry, I added glue behind the Nuvo drops and also the word die cuts and that held the vellum down nicely.

Thanks so much for visiting.  The DT have some gorgeous cards using Linda's sketch so I hope you'll check them out.

I'm playing along with The Flower Challenge who are looking for acetate/vellum on floral cards this month.


Products used:

Cardstock:  Pink Lemonade, Bubblegum, Sour Apple (MFT), Desert Storm, White, Black, Vellum
Dies:  Stitched Blooms (MFT), With Sympathy (Avery Elle), Stitched Rectangle Stax (MFT)
Accessories:  Nuvo Jewel Drops (Rosewater and Key Lime)

Cheers
Karren




10 comments:

lostinpaper said...

LOVE everything about this Karren, the vellum layer is genius!

I Card Everyone said...

If this is true, I cannot even imagine how beautiful it is irl! LOve those blooms, and every other bloomin' thing about your card!
=]

Wanda Cullen said...

Karren, you totally rocked the stitched blooms in this stunning card! Love that you shadowed them with black.

Linda Callahan said...

Wow this is gorgeous! That vellum overlay is fabulous!

Barb Ghig said...

Brilliant take on the sketch, Karren! I love the duo shades of pink on your blooms and how you created shadows behind all of your flowers and leaves! Great idea to add a vellum panel, too...so elegant!

Jen Brum said...

What a beautiful card Karren! I love those flowers peeking out from behind the vellum! The black silhouette is so pretty! Love the silver sentiment too! Just gorgeous!

Claire Grantham said...

Such a beautiful sympathy card. I love the way you layered the vellum over the flowers, genius..I need to try that! Cx

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh I love this! Those flowers are just gorgeous and look wonderful under the vallum panel you've added. I really love this effect!

Viv said...

So lovely to see you back in our gallery again Karren! this is such a glorious card too,love the pretty stitched flowers and soft vellum strip softens it so nicely too. Thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge'...don't be a stranger ;) hugs Viv DT

Jen Mitchell said...

You crack me up! That you admit to being too lazy for fancy folds is priceless! I'm too lazy to do it too, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. As for this card, the bit of black showing behind the die cut flowers and leaves is quite striking. And I might add I learn so much when I visit here. Today I learned how to hide little bits of glue behind enameled dots. That's a great idea when working with vellum.