Saturday 28 July 2018

Fabulous

Hi!  Ever have one of those days where nothing crafty turned out right or easy?  Yep, that was me today.  I look forward to Saturdays so much, because as well as being the weekend, it's also the day that I dedicate a few hours to crafting - making my upcoming DT cards and also, hopefully, playing along in a challenge or two. 

Well today, everything was hard work.  My cards aren't horrible (at least I don't think so 😀) but it didn't go smoothly, they didn't come out as I envisaged and they took way too long. 

Anyway, enough of the pity party!  Here's the card I made for the latest sketch challenge at MFT.  I've said it before, but angled panels make me twitchy and I really, really want to straighten them, but I didn't and here's my card.


It's been a while since I did any ink blending so I decided to create a sunset behind this cute flamingo.  Originally, I masked a circle on a white card base and ink-blended inside the circle.  That looked fine, so I removed the mask and then thought to darken up a couple of areas.  Yup!  Without the mask!  Doh! 

To fix that problem, I die-cut the circle from the card base, darkened up where I wanted to and then glued it down to another card base.  I stamped, colored and die-cut the flamingo and set him to one side while I white-embossed the sentiment onto black cardstock.  I die-cut the sentiment with a die from Blueprints 29 which has stitching at either end, but you can't see that in the photos.


Finally, I added the flamingo, then I colored all the pink areas with a clear sparkle pen and added a dot for his eye with a black glaze pen.



Thanks for visiting and reading through all my woes 😁It's getting on for Saturday evening now, so I think I'll do some coloring practice.


Products used:

Stamps:  Let's Flamingle (MFT)
Ink:  Extreme Black (MFT), Versamark, Salty Ocean, Faded Jeans, Abandoned Coral, Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Squeezed Lemonade Distress Oxide Inks
Cardstock:  White, Black, X-Press It
Dies:  Let's Flamingle, Blueprints 29 (MFT), Circle Infinity Dies (Hero Arts)
Accessories:  White EP, Spectrum Noir Clear Sparkle Pen, Black Glaze Pen

Cheers
Karren

5 comments:

donna mikasa said...

Fabulous take on the sketch, Karren! Love your sunset sky!

Aileen said...

Well I think your card turned out absolutely stunning, love the sunset behind the flamingo.

Funny thing I am just finishing off a flamingo card but theres no lovely sunset behind him, he's really had a bad day.

Darnell said...

I enjoyed your play-by-play, Karren, and love that we can all relate! I especially chuckled about the crooked sediment - I'm getting hives just thinking about it, lol! Go you for going outside your comfort zone and ending up with an utterly gorgeous and beautifully blended card!! Hugs, Darnell

Nancy R. said...

Such a pretty CAS card, Karren. Your ink blending is beautiful too.

Barb Ghig said...

I hear ya when it comes to a bad day in the craft room, but we would never know looking at the results of this fabulous card, Karren! Your sunset sky is gorgeous and I love how you paired it with those lovely blues! You did an amazing job on the sketch, too...your flamingo is perfect!