Thursday 14 September 2023

Mica Leaves

Hi and welcome!  Today's card uses the latest sketch from the Freshly Made Sketches team where our hostess this week is Jen Brum.  I went a bit grungy but tried to keep my card clean-lined and came up with this:



I had been playing around with my mica sprays and thought to make some leaves, so I used 11 of them to come up with these leaves.  Once it was dry, I die-cut them and edged them with Black Soot Distress Ink.  I backed them with a black die-cut which I offset very slightly to help them stand out against the background.


Speaking of the background, initially I splattered white and black paint onto a Desert Storm card base but it looked ick (confirmed by my daughter!) so I went over it with a stencil and some crackle paste and I think that added a bit more interest.  For some reason, I always think kraft card bases are lacking as I'm usually a white card-base chick, but I decided to branch out this week.

For the vertical panel, I ran the cardstock panel through some Frayed Burlap Distress Ink I'd spritzed with water and once it was dry, I stenciled over the top with Ground Espresso and then splattered on some white and black paint.
Finally, I finished with a reverse foiled sentiment and called it done.  

Thanks so much for visiting.  The DT have some gorgeous cards, so I hope you'll check them out.


Products used:

Ink:  Frayed Burlap, Ground Espresso, Black Soot Distress Inks
Cardstock:  White, Black, Watercolor, Neenah Desert Storm
Dies:  Fall Foliage (Tim Holtz), Hexi-Gem Sentiments (Spellbinders)
Accessories:  Mica Sprays (Burning Ember, Fallen Acorn, Decayed, Tarnished Brass, Unravelled, Irongate, Specimen, Fresh Balsam, Harvest Moon, Tart Cranberry, Wicked Elixir, Phantom Mist) Black Soot Distress Paint, White Acrylic Gloss Spray, Book Stencil (Stamperia), Letters & Numbers Stencil (Stamperia), Black Hot Foil, Distress Crackle Paste

Cheers
Karren

12 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

A bit grungy yes, but still gorgeous with that brilliant shine, Karren!
=]

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

How beautiful, what a great take on the sketch, love the grunge. It would be a fabulous addition to our challenge at https://themaleroomchallengeblog.blogspot.com/2023/09/challenge-178-leaves.html
Faith x

Jen Brum said...

Love this grungy look! Those leaves are so beautiful! I love the rich colours and that background is fabulous!

Linda Callahan said...

You are an amazing artist - so many techniques here! Everything came together beautifully! No ickiness at all! Gorgeous leaves!

Lisa Elton said...

Grungy is good in this case, Karren! This is cool!

Dawn T said...

Love these fabulous leaves Karren. Grungy is awesome!

kiwimeskreations said...

Stunning grungy card Karren . i love your leaves against that wonderful background
Blessings
Maxine

Evelyn S. said...

I love this card! Great use of mica sprays and that graphic background...wonderful.

Jen Timko said...

Loving all the detail on those leaves! Fabulous card!

Ida said...

Stunning card. Love the grunge look and textures in your card. I have a few Mica Sprays, I need to get more and play with them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cécile RIBON said...

So artsy! So beautiful! These neutral color leaves are absolutely gorgeous!

DorothyA said...

Great card. Looks like a Tim Holtz creation! I don't have any Mica sprays but I'm now thinking about it...