Thursday 26 March 2015

Birthday Cogs

Hi and welcome!  Today's sketch for Freshly Made Sketches comes to us from Amy O'Neill, who has the most amazing eye for color!  Check out her sketch:


I have to confess the big panel in the middle had me stumped.  It looks perfect for patterned paper, but I don't ever think to use patterned paper.  In the end, the idea to use some patterned paper finally dawned on me (doh!) and I came up with this card.


I wanted to make a masculine card so chose some paper that had a masculine feel.  Once I had the paper cut, it looked too bare, so I hunted through my dies and came up with this NBUS die that I got a couple of months ago.  I cut it from black cardstock and stuck it to the patterned paper.  

The sentiment comes from my new favorite set Label Love and this time I clear embossed over the top to add some texture to an otherwise un-adorned card.


And that's it for this week!  Be sure to check out the fabulous inspiration from the rest of our design team.  

Thanks for visiting.

Products used:

Stamps:  Label Love
Ink:  Archival Black
Cardstock:  Black, Smoke (SSS), Rosie's Wedding Patterned Paper
Accessories:  Clear EP, Memory Box Steampunk Corner Die

Cheers
Karren

15 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

So bold and striking! That is one fabulous die! And I am loving that new sentiment set of yours as well!

Samra said...

Amazing card Karren!! Love the gears and that color combo is so striking!

Jen Timko said...

Wow, you totally nailed this with that fab die! Perfect masculine card!! (And I'm not looking at that sentiment set......)

Lee Ann Barrett said...

What a great guy card, Karren! I have Label Love and am going to try the clear embossing- it looks fabulous!

Jen Mitchell said...

I thought for sure those cogs and gears WAS the patterned paper. But now that I know they're not, I will call you genius for sticking them on the striped paper. This design is so striking. I love it!

Christine Blain said...

This is an AWESOME male card, Karren! Love the embossed sentiment, and the cogs are the perfect focal element.

Amy O said...

What a cool guy card! I love how you used the die with the sketch, and I love the idea of clear embossing the sentiment strip -- it looks like those old label maker strips.

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is so cool! You really know how to embellish cards - these cogs are perfect for a man card!

Elizabeth S. said...

Love it! Perfect for a masculine card and great way to use the sketch.

Deepti said...

This is so fun :)

Marika said...

You are so very good making masculine cards, Karren! This is one awesome example! I may have to warn you though, that Label Love set is a bit addicting... You'll see!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

LOVE the steampunk feel to this design Karren! Thanks for the inspiration over at FMS! Hazel xx

Jen Brum said...

Such a great card Karren! Love the neutral colours! That black stands out so amazingly! Love those gears! So perfect for a masculine card!

Unknown said...

Such a great male card, I want that die! Karen x

SonjaK said...

Such a wonderful clean masculine card! The clear embossed sentiment makes a perfect subtle eye-catcher.