Sunday 15 March 2015

Distress Flowers

Hi!  It's time for another challenge from The Paper Players and this week Ann is challenging us to make a CAS floral card.  



I had just received some Altenew sets and included in my order was Persian Motifs.  Now, I have to admit that this set intimidates me because there are some absolutely stunning cards out there using this set, not least of which those made by my blogging friend, Marika.

Anyway, I decided to have a go with this set and came up with this watercolored card:


I used distress inks and a paintbrush to color, so it's quite loose with not a lot of shading.  Once I'd finished coloring the sheet of watercolor paper, I then used a curved die to cut it into two.  

I then went looking through my collection for a long but small sentiment and found one in Clearly Besotted's Sweet Little Sentiments set.  I placed it on my stamp press and laid the die next to it.  I then curved the stamp around the die before stamped it onto the card base.

The colored panels are popped up with foam tape to give some added interest.


Thanks for visiting.  The rest of the design team have some CAS beauties to inspire you, so be sure to head over there and check them out.

Products used:

Stamps:  Persian Motifs (Altenew), Sweet Little Sentiments (Clearly Besotted)
Ink:  Versamark, Archival Black (Ranger), Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Shabby Shutters, Crushed Olive (Distress)
Cardstock:  White, Watercolor (Tim Holtz)
Accessories:  Stitched Slopes and Hills die (SSS), White EP

Cheers
Karren

15 comments:

Aileen said...

I've just been experimenting with my Altnew stamps with watercolours too. They are so beautiful to look at. You have certainly made a beautiful card. Another to inspire me.

Bonnie said...

This is as stunning as your friend's cards! This set is high up on my list!

LeAnne said...

You needn't feel intimidated because your card is just as lovely as your friend's! It made me go "ahhhhhh" when I saw it! The florals are gorgeous, but the curved cuts and sentiment add such an interesting flair!

Rita W said...

This is gorgeous!!!!! I still haven't braved this set. I look at it and love it, but put it back. lol

Toni said...

Beautiful

Narelle Farrugia said...

Absolutely soft and dreamy! Loving this card!

Marika said...

Karren, thank you for your kind words on my cards! You really shouldn't feel intimidated since this card is a true beauty. I just love how you made your own patterned paper and your lay-out is fantastic! I believe I love those flowers in blue the most! Beautiful, beautiful work Karren!

laurie said...

STUNNING!!!! Truly, Just an awesome card! LOVE it!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Karren this card is just beautiful - your watercolouring and the pattern you created is fabulous! I love the inset curved sentiment too. Amazing!!!

Elizabeth S. said...

Wow! This is stunning and love the design you created.

stampwithsandy said...

Karren, this is absolutely stunning. I love how you embossed the flowers in white and colored them with distress inks, and that curving opening for the sentiment is fabulous!

Shannon Jaramillo said...

Wow, your card is beautiful!! The flowers are gorgeous and splitting the panel in to two is very creative! I will have to remember that technique! And I just love that sentiment set from Clearly Besotted, you have showcased it to perfection!!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Karren, all I can say is WOW! This is simply stunning! The watercoloring is so soft and pretty and the detail with the sentiment adds so much. Such a great technique. I can't wait to try it. :)

Nance Leedy said...

Karren, this card is amazing! I love the split panel and doubly so because it is a soft curve. Love the way you've wrapped the sentiment around it. Just fabulous coloring too!

Claire Broadwater said...

Karren, this is just fabulous!!!!! I love the beautiful watercolored flowers and the curved panels! The wrapped sentiment is genius! XX