Thursday 4 September 2014

Leaves for Dad's Day

This Sunday is Father's Day in New Zealand, so I thought I'd better make a card for my dad.  I decided to use the sketch from Retro Sketches and the inspiration from Curtain Call to use leaves.



I started with a black card base then used the Direct to Paper technique to color some white cardstock with various Distress Inks, followed by some water flicked onto the panels.  I then cut a whole bunch of flags in the different colors.  The largest flag was white-embossed with the sentiment.  

The leaves were stamped several times until I got something I was happy with.  This version was first stamped with Shabby Shutters and Rusty Hinge but that looked too pale.  So I went over the same images with Peeled Paint and Rusty Hinge and that looked much better.  To finish it off, I put some Glossy Accents on the leaves.  




Thanks for visiting.

Products used:

Stamps:  Leafy Accents (Clearly Besotted), Delightful Dozen (SU)
Ink:  Versamark, Peeled Paint, Rusty Hinge, Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Shabby Shutters Distress Inks
Cardstock:  Basic Black, Whisper White
Accessories:  White EP, Glossy Accents, Leafy Accents dies, MFT Fishtail Flags Stax, Enamel Dots

Edited to Add:  This card got a shout out at Curtain Call.

Cheers
Karren

5 comments:

Jen Mitchell said...

What a wonderful card for your father. I love the watercolor look of the stripes.

Marisa said...

Love the colours against the black! Great use of the sketch. Thanks for joining us at The Curtain Call.

Monika/Buzsy said...

Very pretty Karren. Love that sketch with those stripes. The leaves are just perfect. Thank you for playing along with us at the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge.

Kim S said...

I love everything about this - the gorgeous stripes are beautiful on the black background. Your leave are beautifully colored! Thank you for playing along at Curtain Call.

Darnell said...

What a fun card, Karren, so perfect for both challenges!! Congratulations on the Show Stopper honors at Curtain Call!! Hugs, Darnell