Saturday 13 November 2021

Christmas in Non-Traditional Colours

 Hello and welcome!  I was thrilled when Jeanne Jachna asked me to be a guest for the monthly Waffle Flower challenge.  The theme is non-traditional colours which I was so excited with as red and green is not my favourite colour combo 😄




To top it off, we get to use gorgeous Waffle Flower products.  I had a hard time narrowing my choices down for my card and actually ended up making three cards - although one is a bonus of another.  

Anyway, enough chatter, let's get to the cards.  



For my first card, I wanted to focus on the gorgeous and modern Spotlight Holiday Elements stamp set.  I decided to create my own background using various monochromatic inks and a home-made stencil (and I have a video showing how I did this, if you're interested).  After I made my panel and let it dry, I positioned the berry branch image and sentiment in my Misti and stamped it with Versafine Onyx Black ink.  Without moving the stamp, I then placed a white card base into the Misti and stamped the same image.

Using Waffle Flower's Nesting Rectangle Frames die, I die-cut a frame from the ink-blended and stamped panel and carefully removed it.  I then adhered the outer and inner pieces left from the ink-blended panel to the white card base, being careful to match the stamping with what was on the card base.  It helped to use the die-cut frame as a placement guide and then removing it after the other pieces were placed.  The outer frame was adhered directly to the card base and the inner piece was popped up on foam tape for some added dimension.




To use the leftover die-cut frame, I stamped a second white card base with the berry branch image (having left it in the Misti, I knew it was going to be in the correct position).  I added liquid glue to the frame and adhered it, again aligning the image.  As this card was going to be posted, I didn't add dimension, but this would look cool with foam tape behind the frame.



To finish both cards, I added gray enamel dots to the inner frame card and white enamel dots to the outer frame card.  But I wasn't finished there - I had so many wonderful products to play with, I made another card using the same ink-blending technique but with a completely different result.



For this card, I used yellow, orange and pink inks to create my background.  I then die-cut the gorgeous Mistletoe Panel Die three times from white cardstock and once from the Modern Neutrals Pattern Paper (be still, my heart!). I layered all together and adhered them to the inked panel.  I then stamped and Copic-coloured the candy image from Christmas Tag Elements using a similar colour scheme.  After die-cutting the image and stamping and die-cutting the sentiment from Wonderful Christmas, I added both to the card front.  Finally, I added the panel to a white card base and finished with some enamel dots in matching colours.

Phew!  This was a long post!  Thanks for sticking with me.  And thanks also to Jeanne for inviting me and to Waffle Flower for their generosity (not to mention fabulous products).  If you want to see how I made my ink-blended panel check out the video below or over at my YouTube channel.




Products used (gray cards):

Stamps:  Spotlight Holiday Elements (Waffle Flower)
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Unicorn White (Hero Arts), Pumice Stone, Smoked Hickory, Black Soot Distress Oxide Inks
Cardstock:  White, Bristol Smooth
Dies:  Nesting Rectangle Frames Die (Waffle Flower)
Accessories:  Enamel Dots

Products used (pink/orange card):

Stamps:  Christmas Tag Elements, Wonderful Christmas (Waffle Flower)
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Amalgam (Gina K), Scattered Straw, Spiced Marmalade, Tattered Rose, Worn Lipstick Distress Oxide inks, Unicorn White (Hero Arts)
Cardstock:  White, Bristol Smooth, X-Press It, Modern Neutrals (Waffle Flower)
Dies:  Christmas Tag Elements, Wonderful Christmas, Mistletoe Panel die (Waffle Flower)
Accessories:  Copics, Spectrum Noir Clear Sparkle Pen, Enamel Dots

Cheers
Karren




5 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Gorgeous, and fun, Karren! So happy you are playing with the Waffle Flower Team!
=]

Linda Callahan said...

You are incredible - I can't believe the fabulous backgrounds you make! Loved the video! The first two cards are so smart and stylish and then you switch gears and make a sweet holiday treat!

Dawn T said...

Fantastic cards Karren and loved your technique video too. Love the colour schemes on all your cards. The colour blocking on your video cards is amazing. A twofer is always a bonus.

kiwimeskreations said...

What amazing stencilling to make the backgrounds for these magnificent cards Karen!!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Barb Ghig said...

Congrats on your well-deserved GD spot, Karren! You did an amazing job with your Spotlight Holiday Elements stamp...WOW! I love both versions of your first two cards and I'm really impressed with how you used your MISTI to create them. I also love your ink blending behind the mistletoe panel...such a lovely sentiment, too! Great job, Karren...off to check out your video!