Thursday 30 October 2014

Girly Card

I was not in a very creative frame of mind when I made this card and wrote this post, hence the lame title :)  I spent the weekend looking for a new car and test-driving several.  Talk about exhausting!  I haven't found a car yet, but at least I've narrowed down the list to the make and model that I want.  And of course now I have to endure all the phone calls from the car dealers trying to get me to buy their car!

Anyway, onto my card.  This week at Freshly Made Sketches, the very talented Rita Wright is our hostess.  You need to check out her blog - she is now on the Prickley Pear Design Team and is creating some wonderful cards using their images.


Check out this cool sketch - lots of layers!  I have to admit I struggled a bit with this one as I don't generally put a lot of layers on my cards and I very rarely use patterned paper, but I felt it needed some patterned paper, so dug through my hoards and came up with this card:



One of my young nieces is having a birthday next month so I thought I'd make a girly card that would appeal to an 8-year old (or maybe she's 9 - I lose track!)

I started with a Melon Mambo card base and then layered on some Pink Pirouette patterned paper and plain cardstock.  I took inspiration from Narelle's card last week and made my very first shaker card!  I know - where have I been!  I put sequins and some Dazzling Diamonds inside.  Apart from that sequin getting stuck to the foam tape at the top, I'm quite pleased with it.  I also took inspiration from fellow teamie, Jennifer Timko and embossed my butterfly on vellum - so I suppose you could say this was a real team effort :)


Thanks for visiting.  I hope you have checked out the rest of the design team's cards - they're amazing as usual!

Products used:

Stamps:  Birthday Bash Sentiments (PTI), Papillon Potpourri (SU)
Ink:  Versamark
Cardstock:  Melon Mambo, White, Subtles DSP, acetate
Accessories:  Sequins, butterfly punch, Dazzling Diamonds, Sequins, Rhinestones, Stitched Mats Rectangles, Circle Nesties, Melon Mambo EP.

11 comments:

Jen Timko said...

Perfect layering - check. Perfect DSP choices - check. Cool details - check. Looks like you were pretty creative to me! :-) That butterfly really is great when embossed.

Linda Callahan said...

Sometimes you just have to channel your inner girly girl! This is adorable! Love the sequined shaker! She will love it.....I do!

Amy O said...

What a perfect girly card! Lots of pink and a shaker with sparkles. Very fun!

Jen Mitchell said...

Oh, if the car salesman in NZ are anything like the ones in the US then I don't envy you trying to buy a new car at all. That's got to be one of the worst things to do! But I don't think car shopping stifled your creativity at all. The shaker card is a brilliant idea for your niece. I think she'll be completely taken with with all those sequins jumping around!

Stampingcountry said...

Ooh, Love the sequins behind the pop up circle!

Patrice said...

Oooooh so sweet and girly. Love all the sparkles.

So have you bought a new car yet? Hope you didn't get too many calls!

Mona Pendleton said...

So very pretty! Love the circular shaker and fancy rhinestone studded butterfly!

Cindy Hall said...

This is such a fun card and great for a girl of any age! So totally feminine and happy.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Hi Karen. Everything about your girly birthday card is simply fun! Thanks for sharing. Luv the Vellum em.bossed butterfly

Narelle Farrugia said...

Your niece is going to LOVE this shaker card Karren with all that pink! Glad we inspired you for once - usually it's us being inspired by you! I've been looking for a card for the last two weeks too. I finally decided on one and it should be delivered Friday. I'm a bit excited as it's my first brand new car! Hope you find something soon.

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Thanks for the inspiration . . . stunning card! xx