Thursday 23 July 2020

Birthday Stars

Hi, I'm here with this week's card for Freshly Made Sketches, where our sketch hostess is Jen Mitchell.



I made this hard for myself because I had 2 new items that I was determined to use on this card.  The first was the navy cardstock.  I've been looking for a dark navy for some time because I loved Nightshift Blue from MFT Stamps, which is no longer available.  I bought a couple of different ones online to test and found In The Navy by Gina K to be the best match to what I was after.  So of course, I had to make a card with it!  The second item is the circular hot foil die.  I bought the hot foil machine for my Gemini Junior about 6 weeks ago and have been waiting, not so patiently, for some Spellbinders dies to come from the US.  Finally they arrived and I had in mind to use this circle dot one for this week's sketch.




The card is pretty self-explanatory.  Originally I intended to have rainbow circles in place of the stars and actually die-cut tiny circles from the navy panel and backed each circle with a rainbow color, then I didn't like it, so covered the holes up with sparkle cardstock stars.  Remember I said I made this hard on myself?  This card took me about 4 hours start to finish!

Here's the sketch we have to work with this week.  The DT have some gorgeous cards that I'm sure didn't taken them 4 hours to make!

Products used:

Stamps:  More Essential Sentiments (MFT)
Ink:  Versamark
Cardstock:  White, In The Navy (Gina K), Silver Sparkle (MFT), Silver Hot Foil (Spellbinders)
Dies:  Blueprints 21, Blueprints 8, Pierced Fishtail Flag Stax (MFT), Essential Glimmer Circles (Spellbinders)


12 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Yep it seems sometimes cards have their own way of doing things and take you down a totally different path! But your result is still fabulous! Love the color and the diecut!

I Card Everyone said...

Karren, I can't thank you enough for your trial-and-error shopping for the perfect navy blue card! Now, what do we do with all those that didn't pass muster? lol
LOve your navy/silver combo - and that circle of foiled dots is spectacular!
=]

Amy O said...

The "simple" cards are sometimes the hardest ones! I love how this one turned out though!

Jacquie Southas said...

The final result is worth the time put in because this card is CAS perfection!

Diane said...

What a gorgeous birthday design.

Hugs Diane

Dawn T said...

So delightful Karren. CAS is awesome

Jen Mitchell said...

I'm quite familiar with cards that take 4 hours to make, sadly. But the end result is always worth it! I love the this little birthday card :)

Barb Ghig said...

So, you're hot foiling now, eh? I love your new navy cardstock and how well it works with silver! Fabulous CAS design, Karren...it was worth every minute of time that you spent creating it!

Jen Brum said...

Oh I just love that blue and silver!! So pretty! Hot foil?! Oh, it's amazing! I don't need hot foil, I don't need hot foil, I don't need hot foil!!!

Cécile RIBON said...

Wow, Karren! What a CAS beauty! So simple and so striking at the same. That's definitely CAS perfection.

Judy Rozema said...

I absolutely love this - and love that little row of tiny stars! Everything is perfect.

Lee Ann Barrett said...

What a gorgeous clean and simple design, Karren! 4 hours- that is about the norm for me, sad to say. And some I still don't like.