Thursday 11 March 2021

Slanted Birthday

 Freshly Made Sketches  has a new sketch for us this week, courtesy of  Linda Callahan.  I have to admit this card took me the better part of 5 hours to make!  Me and angled panels do not work well together and I kept second-, third- and fourth-guessing my card.


I knew I wanted an ink-blended background so that part was easily achieved with a white panel and some Speckled Egg Distress Ink.  I then splattered on some white gouache and set it aside to dry.  Now for the angled panel.  I first tried washi tape but didn't like it so back to the drawing board.  After going through my dies I found this one that was made for the sketch so I die-cut it 3 times and stacked them together.  

Then I had the problem of what else to do.  I had just received these little branch dies so cut them from a few different colours and arranged them in the centre of the circle.  Good enough!  I decided to splatter on some Speckled Egg Distress Oxide ink before working on the sentiment.


The sentiment was a whole 'nuther problem because like angled panels, I also don't like the look of angled sentiments but felt I needed to to make it look cohesive.  As you can see from the sketch below, I didn't angle my stripes quite as much as Linda's sketch, but I hope it's good enough!

Head on over and check out the wonderful cards made by the rest of the not-angle-challenged design team.





Products used:

Stamps:  Embroidered Blooms (PTI)
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Speckled Egg Distress Ink, Speckled Egg Distress Oxide
Cardstock:  White, Grout Gray, Gravel Gray (MFT), Stormy Sea, Ocean Tides (PTI)
Dies:  Surely Stitched Circle (Memory Box), Branches & Berries (Altenew), Stitched Rectangle Stax (MFT)

Cheers
Karren



14 comments:

Judy Rozema said...

Love that Speckled Egg color! I have hardly used mine, and I need to. This is gorgeous!

I Card Everyone said...

If it took you twelve hours to make, every minute would have been worth it, Karren! It's fabulous! All my favorite greyed-down colors! and the perfect amount of splatter!
=]

Linda Callahan said...

This is fabulous - and I am sorry it took so long but it was worth it! I can't believe you had a diecut that worked perfectly for the sketch! I love all the speckles and subtle blues and greys!

Cindy H. said...

Love your fabulous card! It's perfect in every way!

JoAnn said...

Love your card, the ink blended background, lovely splatters, angled sentiment, all just perfect.

Basement Stamper said...

Fantastic card, I really love the think black strips you created-very striking!

Dawn T said...

Love the ombre background and the diagonal element is perfect.

Amy O said...

What a gorgeous card! I love that inky background and skinny stripes!

Eva Bussom said...

Gorgeous card

Jen Mitchell said...

I know how it is to obsess about a card, but the end result is worth it! Your speckled egg background is fabulous! I think this has a bit of a nautical look. The focal images put me in mind of a porthole and a bit of sea kelp. :)

Barb Ghig said...

As always, you've done an amazing job on the sketch, Karren! I love how you blended the speckled egg DOX ink so that it fades away and your splatters are sheer perfection! I also love the thin diagonal lines and the charming sprigs you chose for your focal point...You knocked this one outta the park, my friend!

lichazul said...

Beautiful card congrats 👍😊
Have a great day

Cécile RIBON said...

Angled panels might not be your cup of tea but yet, you 've nailed this sketch, Karren! This softly blended background is fabulous and the you've used the perfect die for the diagonal element. I love how you stacked various cuts of branches.

Kim S said...

This is truly lovely. Your sponging and splattering created a stunning background for the grouping of leaves! And I think all of the angles came together beautifully!