Thursday 23 February 2017

Birthday Girl

Welcome to another sketch from the team at Freshly Made Sketches.  This week our hostess is the wonderful and talented Amy O'Neill.  Her sketch involves one of my favorite elements - vertical panels.  Check it out:

My card involves three of my favorite techniques - ink-blending, stenciling and Copic coloring, so as you can imagine, I really enjoyed making this.  I did film it, but something went awry and iMovie couldn't recognise the video.  Grrr! 


I sponged Distress inks onto a panel of Bristol Smooth and then went over the top with a stencil, using the same inks.  I cut the panel into strips, using two down either side of the card base and the third I used to die-cut the sentiment, which I set aside.

I stamped and colored the girl and used some clear sparkle pen on her grass skirt. After adhering the two ombre panels down the sides of a top-folding card, I die-cut the same sentiment from a panel of white cardstock and then inlaid the "Sending" word back into the gap, before stamping the rest of the sentiment underneath.  That panel was popped up on foam tape onto the card base and the girl was adhered with liquid glue.







And that's my card!  Head on over to the FMS blog to check out the fabulous creations made by the rest of the design team.  I'm linking this up to Seize the Birthday's Inlaid Die-Cut challenge and the Cardz for Teenz challenge at Cardz for Galz.



Cardz 4 Galz




Cheers
Karren

15 comments:

Kara Lynne said...

Karren, this card is practically glowing!! I love your vibrant warm colors, and your little hula girl could not get any sweeter!

Barb Ghig said...

Too bad your video didn't work out...I would love to see how you created the side panels...Such a beautiful card, Karren! Your little Polynesian girl is so sweet and your coloring is just beautiful! Love the ombre effect you created with your die cut sentiment, too!

lostinpaper said...

Gorgeous card Karren! I hear you with the frustration of the 'video' thingy, wonderful, but so totally frustrating at times too...

Susi said...

Love the ombre sections - you've chosen such lovely colours that are very complimentary! Of course, the Hawaiian dancer is beautifully coloured too.

Jen Brum said...

This card is amazing Karren! I love that background! Such vibrant colours! Your colouring is fabulous as always!!! Wishing it were warm enough here to wear a grass skirt!!!!

Amy O said...

I love this card, Karren! It's no wonder these three techniques are favorites of yours -- You are amazing with them!

Colleen said...

Awesome card, love your little Hawaiian girl and the subtle but lovely background with the gorgeous 'sunny' colors! Thank you for sharing at Seize the Birthday!

Petra Swart said...

Oh, she is just soooooo cute, Karren!!!!! Love the wonderful sponging of the side panels in the lovely vibrant colours - the effect you got with the stencil is beautiful!!!! Such a sweet card!!!
Hugz

Linda Callahan said...

Love that subtle stencil pattern in the background! Beautiful tropical colors and oh so sweet native girl! Sweet card!

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz, good luck!!! Amy DT

Jen Timko said...

Well boo on the video! I was ready to settle in on some video time. :-) Love this card. The coloring and this sweet girl are fabulous!

Jen Mitchell said...

Love how this card gives off such a warm vibe! The hula girl is fabulously colored and I can practically hear the luau music!

Karen Davis said...

Wow! I love the inlaid die cuts! The colours are so warm and your wee hula girl really sets the scene. So sad your video didn't behave. :(

Cécile RIBON said...

That polynesian girl is such a sweetie! Love those sunny color side panels too!.

Cazro said...

Fabulous card, I love the imge, a perfect representation for our challenge and of course the sketch. Thanks for sharing with us at Cardz 4 Galz. Caz DT.