Wednesday 1 February 2017

Polar Bear Hello

Hi and welcome!  It's time for another sketch from the team at Freshly Made Sketches and this week I am the hostess.  And here is my sketch:
I've gone for a simple sketch with three horizontal elements, which can be interpreted in many different ways.  For my card, I chose to do some ink blending in an ombre fashion, using the colors from the current challenge at MFT Stamps.


In my last week's post and video, I asked what sort of things people wanted to see in videos and two of my teamies wanted to see some ink-blending, so I started with that thought in mind.  I matched the challenge colors to distress inks as best I could and started blending away.  Once finished, I die-cut with a wonky rectangle die and stamped the sentiment with Smoke ink onto the bottom panel.  

I then went to work on the polar bear and colored him with Copics, again matching the scarf colors with the challenge colors as best I could.  The bear is popped up on foam tape and I colored his scarf with clear sparkle pen.




And here is the video.  There is a bit more talking than previous times, which isn't that easy!  Even though I frequently mutter away to myself while I'm stamping, actually talking out loud describing what I'm doing doesn't come naturally, so forgive any stop/starts.  As an aside, as I started doing the voice-over and was listing the supplies, my 14-year old son piped up with "and some alcohol to make it all go better"!  Well, of course, I cracked up and hard to start over, although I was tempted to leave it in 😉





Thank you to everyone who takes the time to watch these videos - I know they're not polished but hopefully with practice, they'll get better!

Now, head on over to the FMS blog and check out what my fabulous teamies have done with this sketch.  You'll be so glad you did!


Products used:

Stamps:  Polar Bear Pals (MFT)
Ink:  Black Licorice Hybrid (MFT), Smoke (SSS), Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers, Blueprint Sketch Distress Inks
Cardstock:  White, Bristol Smooth
Dies:  Polar Bear Pals (MFT), Wonky Stitched Rectangle Stax (MFT)
Accessories:  Copics, Spectrum Noir Clear Sparkle Pen

Cheers
Karren

15 comments:

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh I love this Karren! I love the colours on the panels you've created - you've inspired me to get some distress inks and as always your copic colouring is awesome!

Stampingcountry said...

Adorable card! Your cool colors are just right for your card.

Susanne Vargas said...

Oh, I love your sketch, Karren, and the card you made with it! The ombre panels are such a great background for the sweet bear!

Jen Timko said...

Love your video! No polishing required. It is a joy to watch you color! Almost like being there (except we could actually have the alcohol to make it go better....). Thanks for an awesome sketch this week!

Linda Callahan said...

Wow this is like dinner and a show! I love seeing you color.....just attention to detail! Adorable card.....wonderful sketch.....and if I ever show up to stamp with you there will be alcohol ;)

I Card Everyone said...

LOve this guy, and the gorgeous skyline you've created for him, Karren! I've had a light-bulb moment - see you in the gallery!
=]

Petra Swart said...

Oh, that guy is just soooo adorable, Karren!!!!!! Love him and like his lovely scarf!!!! Wonderful ink-blending is beautiful colours!!! Will be watching your video - you should have kept your sons comment!!!!! LOL!!!! I always struggle to do smooth ink-blending so I'm looking forward to see how you do it so perfectly!!!! Thanks!!!!!
Have a great day!!!!
Hugz

Jen Brum said...

This is such a great card Karren! I love that sweet little polar bear! Fantastic colouring (as always!)! Love the video too! Thanks for a fabulous sketch this week!

Deborah Frings said...

Such a fun card! Super simple, super cool! I think the ombre blocks of colour are fabulous! And that polar bear is adorable!

Rosemary said...

super fun sketch and card karren... i'm still trying to figure out what to make... so many ideas!!

Jen Mitchell said...

The ombre rectangles are so cool - the colors are absolutely perfect for your little polar bear. Great sketch, by the way. I normally shy away from three of "something" but this was fun!

Kim S said...

LOVE your trio of frosty panels - just perfect behind that cute bear!

Scrapperdipper said...

I just love this card. The colors are perfect, and who can resist that bear. I just bought this stamp set, and I can't wait to use it.

Kelly S. said...

This is such an awesome sketch, Karren! And your card with the sweet bear and the icy colors?! Perfection!

Karen Davis said...

I love your polar bear card. The colours just sing. A great demonstration, it is such a treat actually watching you work those copics.