Sunday 11 September 2016

Best Foot Forward

Hi and welcome!  The card I'm showing you today is one I've prepared for the MFT 2016 Superstar Card Contest. Based on the outstanding cards that won last year, I'm not holding my breath, but you've gotta be in to win and MFT is my favorite stamp brand!


I decided to stick with what I enjoy and like seeing and that is emboss resist, ink blending and Copic coloring.  I used a lot of masking in this card and also a fun technique where you stamp onto a whole panel then cut away the vertical strips top and bottom of the image.  This probably has a name but I don't know what it is :)

To make my card, I first cut some masks for the gorgeous Delicate Pretty Poppies set, which is my favorite non-Birdie Brown MFT set.  I then stamped the images onto a panel of X-Press It cardstock, masking as I went.  The images were then colored with Copics and I very carefully cut away a panel at the top and bottom of the colored images, using my craft knife.  When I got to where the flowers were, I fussy cut around them with my scissors.  Finally, I stamped a birthday sentiment in the bottom left corner and die-cut the panel with Blueprints 25  The centers of the poppies were colored with clear Wink of Stella for some subtle shimmer.



On the card base, I masked off a strip and white embossed the Sheet Music Background stamp.  I then blended several Distress Inks over the panel in an ombre fashion with the darkest (Carved Pumpkin) at the bottom and the lightest (Squeezed Lemonade) at the top.  The top panel was then adhered to the card base using foam tape and I placed some clear sequins around the floral image.

Thanks for visiting.  This card took an inordinate amount of time to make but I'm really happy with the result and regardless whether I get a shout out or not, it's time well spent.

I'm also linking up to Seize The Birthday who have a frames theme - I like to think I've framed the flowers although not in the traditional way; Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge and Work It Wednesday both have a Stamp It theme, and Just Add Ink have Just Add 'P' (P for poppies).

Print



Simon Wednesday Challenge Blog


workitwedbanner



Products used:

Stamps:  Delicate Pretty Poppies, The Whole Herd, Sheet Music Background (MFT)
Ink:  Versamark, Black Licorice Hybrid, Squeezed Lemonade, Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade, Carved Pumpkin
Cardstock:  White, X-Press It
Dies:  Blueprints 29
Accessories:  White EP, Copics, Sequins

Cheers
Karren

Edited to Add:  This card got a shout out at Just Add Ink.

23 comments:

Aileen said...

Ohhh Karren that is one A+ card. Its stunning, just the right amount of blending, the cuttaway pieces and that stunning flower. Its centre has such depth, love it.

Lyn said...

Karen your card is outstanding and with every good chance of placing <3 wishing you all the best with it.

Narelle Farrugia said...

Absolutely stunning! Your flowers are coloured perfectly and the background you've created is awesome!

Karen Day said...

Karren - you get my vote! Just a stunning card :o)

Ellen said...

Oh, so awesome!
Karren, your card is PERFECT!
I love it!

Greetings from Ellen

Wanda Cullen said...

Karren, this is a winner in my book! Love your cardmaking style and this is absolutely gorgeous! Simple yet so elegant!

Ruth said...

It totally shows off your super star card making qualities - you can always tell a card that has taken time and a lot of input and it's always always worthwhile. I love the ombre effect in the cutaway, with the musical notes on the top. Just perfect. Fingers crossed! xx

Cathy said...

Stunning card Karren, your blending is gorgeous and the flowers look amazing, Cathy x

Cécile RIBON said...

It's impressive ! So many techniques and skills to make this fabulous card !

Linda Callahan said...

Well you are my favorite! This is gorgeous! Love that recessed panel and your flowers are beautiful!

Sharyn Polesel said...

This is beautiful! I love the design and your fun musical background. Emboss resist is one of my favorite techniques. Gorgeous flowers too. Thanks for playing along with us at Seize the Birthday and good luck with the MFT challenge.

Lisa Lara said...

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful Karren. You blow me away!

Jan said...

I absolutely love this Karren! inked background is stunning and I love the depth of colour and shine on your flowers too/ Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week :-)

Andrea Shell said...

This is beautiful! Love the background peeking out and those gorgeous blooms!

Andrea Shell said...

This is beautiful! Love the background peeking out and those gorgeous blooms!

Leigh Penner said...

Beautiful!

KimB said...

It was worth the time Karren! I love your colour transitions in the background and your poppies are just stunning.Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

Anonymous said...

This is stunning Karren. I really love the rich colour of the background panel and the flowers too. Chantell JAI

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous CAS card, Karren! I really love how you blended your inks for the embossed resist background, and the musical notes are fabulous! Your Poppies are absolutely stunning, too...when I grow up, I want to learn how to color with Copics just like you :) I think you did an amazing job on your entry, and I'm crossing my fingers and toes that you are a winner this year ~ You certainly deserve it!!!

jenn shurkus said...

gorgeous! i love the music notes peeking through!! thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

Patrice said...

Breathtaking, Karren. Such gorgeous, vibrant colours. x

Cindy H. said...

Simply gorgeous! Beautiful coloring and design! Good luck in your quest!

JoAnn said...

Simply beautiful. Love the colors and the embossed and sponged panel beneath the flowers. A great technique. TFS and thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday.