Wednesday 21 September 2016

Embrace the Splatter

Welcome to another fabulous challenge at Freshly Made Sketches!  This week our hostess is the amazing Amy O'Neill and she has a wonderful sketch that is sure to be popular as it's so versatile.


For my card, I decided to create a textured and stenciled background so went to town with my new MFT stencil, some distress inks and finally some matt texture paste by Ranger.  It's hard to tell in the photo, but this has a lovely texture in real life.


After I'd finished my piece, I decided to get bold and add some splatter.  Now, I don't usually like splatter because it's so unpredictable and one extra "splat" can ruin a project, but I did it anyway - hence the title of this post :)  I splattered on some Black Soot distress ink and then dabbed on some gold Color Shine.  I did that to both the stenciled panel and the card base, concentrating in the bottom left and top right corners.


The sentiment is white embossed and I rounded the corner to match the stenciled panel.  Both panels are popped up on foam tape.  I'm linking this up to Tic Tac Toe where I used Stencils/Blues & Greens/Texture.

Thanks for visiting.  The FMS DT have some gorgeous inspiration for you, so please check them out.

Products used:

Stamps:  Amazing (MFT)
Ink:  Versamark, Black Soot, Cracked Pistachio, Twisted Citron, Mermaid Lagoon Distress
Cardstock:  White, Black
Dies:  Blueprints 24 (MFT)
Accessories:  Heidi Swapp Gold Color Shine, Chevron Grid Stencil (MFT), Transparent Matte Texture Paste (Ranger)




13 comments:

Susanne Vargas said...

I love splatters and am glad you took the risk! The two colored splatters look fabulous on your panel and on the card!

Amy O said...

You make such beautiful backgrounds with blending distress inks! And I'm glad you embraced the splatters -- those little touches of gold look fabulous! Great use of the sketch!

Jen Mitchell said...

You do splatters like a pro! I know what you mean about spending a lot of time getting your main layer just right then gambling that your splatters fall in the pleasing manner that you want them to. What stress! I'm glad it worked out for you and that your beautiful stenciled background still looks beautiful!

Karen Davis said...

WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous Karren. The splatters are so perfect and the colours and design are just amazing.

Linda Callahan said...

Yep it's all about the splatter and you are a pro splatter-er! The panel is beautiful and perfectly done!

Jen Brum said...

Gorgeous card Karren! I love that panel you've created! Those colours are so fun! I love that sentiment and it stands out so nicely on that black cardstock! Love it!

Rosemary said...

super fun take on the sketch!!

Being Mrs Miles said...

Hi Karren,

Oh WOW - I'm sure the photo does not do justice to your gorgeous background and then the sprinkles of gold!! And this sentiment... its simply uplifting.

Nora Noll said...

Okay, I am going to have to CASE this card. I LOVE the colors, the gold splatters, the simple design. Totally AMAZING card!! Thanks for playing with us as Stamping Smiles Designs Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge!!

Nora

Cécile RIBON said...

Another stunning card ! Your take on the sketch is amazingly artsy. Love that fabulous stenciling/blending !

Barb Ghig said...

You're blowing me away with your talent! This is such a striking card, Karren! I really love your color palette and that you used matte texture paste to create dimension on this card! Great idea to add the splatters, too...I agree that they're risky, but you nailed it with just the right amount and perfect colors!

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a pretty card! Love the beautifully stenciled design Karren! Thanks for the inspiration!

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is gorgeous! These colours combined are a fab background combo (might have to steal this combo for later!).