Wednesday 7 September 2016

Ghost Car

Hi!  I'm back with a fun sketch by the fabulous Jen Brum for Freshly Made Sketches.


Told you it was fun, didn't I?  For my card, I went with a masculine card as I needed another card for Father's Day which was last Sunday here in New Zealand.


I had fun playing with some Yupo paper and alcohol ink and created two different backgrounds using the same piece of Yupo and the same main colors - Pesto and Espresso Alcohol Inks.  I really wanted to try the Alcohol Ink Resist technique that Tim shared in Creative Chemistry 103 but the darkest inks I had were Pesto and Espress.  I created a background using just those two inks.  However, I re-used a felt square and it had previously had blending solution on it, so my background wasn't as "smooth" as it should be.  I carried on regardless, because, well it's fun to experiment :)

After that was dry, I cut the piece of Yupo into two and put one aside.  On the other piece, I stamped the car using Jet Black Archival and then removed the ink as per the technique.  I didn't use a solid enough stamp and the resist image was indistinguishable, so I went and stamped the car again, this time slightly offsetting the image - creating the ghost image.  I really like the effect!  It looks 3D to me.

With the second panel, I added some Copper Mixative and then ran it through my Big Shot with a clock embosssing folder.  I then lightly sponged some Viridian archival ink over the raised bits and then rubbed off with a paper towel - again creating a resist.


I used pierced circle and rectangle frame dies to frame the two panels and used a Desert Storm card base to keep with the vintage-y look.

Thanks for visiting.  The FMS DT have some beautiful cards to inspire you, as they do every week, so be sure to check them out.

I'm linking this card up to the current challenge at Just Us Girls which has a  Travel theme.


Products used:

Stamps:  Travel Way (Tim Holtz), KIS:  Father (PTI)
Ink:  Versamark, Jet Black Archival, Viridian Archival, Pesto, Espress Alcohol Inks, Copper Mixative
Cardstock:  Desert Storm, Black, Yupo
Dies:  Circle Pierced Frames, Rectangle Perced Frames, Blueprints 6 (MFT)
Accessories:  White EP, Renaissance EF (Couture Creations)

Cheers
Karren

14 comments:

Kathyk said...

Fab make and loving that ghost car too

Kathyk

Karen Dunbrook said...

looks awesome...love how you did the bkg piece!

Kim S said...

It's so clean and masculine - but such beautiful detail!

Linda Callahan said...

This is amazing! My dad actually had a car like that! I love your ink work....and yes the car does look 3d! A masterpiece!

Stampingcountry said...

Handsome Guy Card!

Stampingcountry said...

Handsome Guy Card!

stampwithsandy said...

Wow what an awesome masculine card! Love it! Thanks for sharing your techniques.

stampwithsandy said...

Wow what an awesome masculine card! Love it! Thanks for sharing your techniques.

Jen Timko said...

This is so cool! Love that car!!!

Karen Davis said...

Two amazing backgrounds Karren, they work together perfectly in this card. A fabulous masculine card.

Rosemary said...

fabulous masculine design, karren!!

Jen Brum said...

Wow! What an amazing card Karren! I love that car and the techniques you've used! You are just too creative!!! Seem like the perfect Father's Day card!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Awesome man card Karren! More techniques that I know I would never be able create myself. You always nail them!

Barb Ghig said...

I am so sorry that I fell so far behind on my visits...This card is so COOL, Karren! I love how you created both backgrounds, especially the resist! I also love how the car creates movement on this card...really awesome take on the sketch!!!