Sunday 23 August 2015

Cute as a Bug

Hi!  I managed to take some time today to join in with the current Tag You're It Challenge, where my friend Jen Mitchell is the designer.  Jen used an adorable bear on her tag, so I decided to follow suit - to a degree - and use a critter.


I took the basic layout and the background color as inspiration from Jen's tag.  I also used an offset banner for the sentiment.

A lot of people put their NBUS to one side and don't file it away until they've used it at least once.  I never did that and always filed my NBUS as soon as I got it.  Maybe because I was scared the pile would topple over and bury me :)  I got a few orders in over the last couple of weeks and decided that this time I would keep it separate from my other product until I've used it.  I'm making inroads and this is another new set that can now be filed.

I stamped the branch, hive and bee onto X-Press It cardstock and colored them with Copics before cutting them out.  They then got a liberal coating of Wink of Stella.  I die-cut the tag from watercolor paper and wet it liberally with water before dropping on some Tumbled Glass, Broken China and Mermaid Lagoon ink - lightest at the top.  Once that was dry, I could put my tag together.  Now, somehow when I went to stick my little bee onto the tag with foam tape, I realised his leg had vanished.  I couldn't find it anywhere so I had to stamp and die-cut another bee and cut off its leg and perform some surgery.  You can see in the close-up what I mean:


A happy ending and no animals were harmed in the making of this tag :)

Thanks for visiting.


Products used:

Stamps:  Cute as a Bug (Clearly Besotted)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Onyx Black, Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Mermaid Lagoon
Cardstock:  Watercolor, X-Press It
Accessories:  Cute as a Bug dies, Copics, Tags a Lot (Mama Elephant), Blueprints 21 (MFT), Wink of Stella

Cheers
Karren

12 comments:

Kelly Szafron said...

Very cute little bee, great way to rescue it's Leg! Great to thanks for sharing it with us at the Tag You're It! Challenge.

laurie said...

Your tag IS as cute as a bug!

laurie said...

Your tag IS as cute as a bug!

Darnell said...

This is utterly adorable, Karren, and such a fun take on the TYI challenge!! Hugs, Darnell

Nora Noll said...

This is so cute. I love that little bee and that sentiment-FABULOUS!! Great take on the challenge!!

Susan said...

So cute! This is a great take on the inspiration tag! Thank you for joining us at Tag You're It!

Ilse said...

I love it, so cute !!!
Ilse

Greta said...

Totally adorable, Karren!

anja curvers said...

OOhhh your tag is so cute love it. Thanks for joining us over at Tag You're It.

Marika said...

Oooh, what a lovely bee!! Although I kinda hate them at the moment. I went orienteering last night and was so lucky to run directly to a "hornet's nest" (Is that a right word, google translate translated it that way..) and got stung many times right at my bottom.. Although I kinda hate and every time I sit I got a reminder how much I hate all flying bugs with spikes at the moment, your tag gave me a smile! Thanks for that!

Marybeth said...

This is as cute as can bee! Love the way you colored your tag ! Thanks for joining us at Tag You’re It!

cm said...

Your little bee, with his 'fixed' leg, is sheer delight and that hive is simply far toooo cute! Fabulous tag in every way and a charming take on Jen's inspiration. Thank you for sharing your darling little humming bee at Tag You're It!
~c