Thursday 20 August 2015

Wishing - FMS 200!

Hi and welcome!  Today is a very special day because Freshly Made Sketches is celebrating its 200th challenge and, boy, are we celebrating!  If you came here from the FMS blog, you'll know what I mean, but if not, be sure to check out the blog.  We have some amazing prizes from some of the most well-known companies in the stamping industry.  We also have some amazing cards using the sketch from several of the sponsors' design teams - and there are some real stamping celebrities!

Before we get to my card, I just want to take a moment to thank Jennifer Timko and Jen Mitchell for all the hard work they've put in behind the scenes to make this celebration possible. These two are legends!  And of course, we have to thank Lesley Croghan who started the challenge and is still there helping and joining in when possible.

Now onto the sketch.  This is a wonderfully open sketch and has so many options.



Luckily for me, the idea for my card came pretty quickly, so I got it down on paper as soon as I could.



I wanted a sponged background and to use one of my favorite text stamps from Tim Holtz, so I started by sponging Peacock Feathers, Twisted Citron and Wild Honey, moving from the bottom right to top left.  Once I was happy with the ink blending, I stamped the text stamp using Picket Fence Distress Paint.  While it was still wet, I sprinkled on some Perfect Pearls, giving the card a lovely shimmer.

The top layer of the card was die cut with one of the dies from Landscape Trio in both white and black.  I die cut the word "Wishing" in black, Audrey Blue and two in white before stacking them up with the blue on the bottom.  I painted the die-cut with Wink of Stella for even more shimmer!

Here are some close-ups to try and show you the shimmer.





And a close up of the sentiment:



Thanks so much for visiting.  Please check out the FMS blog and see all the lovely examples there from the FMS team as well as our guests.  I hope you'll join the challenge as the prizes are amazing.



Products Used:

Stamps:  Papillon (Tim Holtz), Sending & Wishing (SSS)
Ink:  Peacock Feathers, Twisted Citron, Wild Honey Distress Inks, Picket Fence Distress Paint, Versafine Onyx Black
Cardstock:  White, black, Audrey Blue (SSS), watercolor
Accessories:  Wishing die (SSS), Landscape Trio die (Mama Elephant), Perfect Pearls, Wink of Stella

Cheers
Karren

26 comments:

Suchi said...

The background is very striking and lovely!! :)
Congrats on the 200th of FMS and I am surely loving this generous celebration!! :)
Suchi xx

Linda Callahan said...

Well I am wishing I could create something so fabulous as that beautifully inked background.....you need to be my neighbor girl! The bold sentiment is the perfect balance to the colorful bottom! Gorgeous card!

Jen Timko said...

I actually gasped out loud when you sent this to us! I love it so much. The colors, the texture...perfectly you and so fabulous! Thanks for all you do to make this team such a joy!

SonjaK said...

Amazing background! Love this color combination and the curved edge and the die-cut greeting and, and, and. I just love this whole card! So perfect.

Kelly S. said...

Gorgeous technique, love the colors with the popping bits of white and black. Thanks for your inspiring designs EVERY week, Karren!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Love that background you've made here Karren! The white and black really makes it pop! Many congratulations to you and the rest of the DT on 200 challenges and thank you for always inspiring! Have a lovely day! Hazel xx

Jen Mitchell said...

Some day I will learn to sponge as well as you! I love the emboss resist look and the black accents. This looks so shimmery and I'm sure it's gorgeous in real life!

We finally made it to 200! Now we can relax a little!!

Amy O said...

Gorgeous, Karren! That sponging is fabulous, and I love the added shimmer. This card is so well balanced and I love the colors. Beautifully done!

Jen Brum said...

Such an amazing card Karren! I love that background! The colours are so fabulous! Love the sentiment! So glad that you are on our team to inspire us (and make us want to buy so much stuff!!!)

Gibmiss said...

Hi Sue
Love your card... Colours are stunning...
Hugs Sylvie xx

Bonnie said...

I love these colors with the white script and the black die and trim it out beautifully!

Cindy Lovell said...

This is one awesome card,Karren!!! The background is amazing i love...love the tough of black!
Thank you for your creativity and always enabling us!! :D LOVE this Team!!!

Lesley said...

Gorgeous colours and design! Love that swooped edge! Thank you for all of your hard work on the team, you always share such creative work! xo

Eva Bussom said...

LOVES IT BAD!!!! :)

Greta said...

Oh how I love this card, Karren--gorgeous inking & design! Love the text stamped with the paint!

Hannelie said...

I LOVE the sketch... and I adore your use of it Karren !
Stunner!

sandie said...

Don't you love it when an idea comes to you quickly. I love the sponging on the text, great combo x

Chriss Blagrave said...

Love these colours and curves! Awesome card!

Laurie Unger said...

Love the background you created for this card.

Dana M said...

Gorgeous card Karren! I love the colors you used for sponging and the black is the perfect complement to let them shine.

Narelle Farrugia said...

Wow I am totally loving the effect you've created on your background and your curvy line. This is such a wonderful card Karren!

KT Fit Kitty said...

This is gorgeous! I love that inky background! Great inspiration, thank you! It's my first time joining Freshly Made Sketches!

Amie Kiger (Kigz) said...

Oooooooo, those colors are fab!!! What a wonderful swooshing die cut sentiment! :)

Taunya Butler said...

So lovely and full of so many awesome design elements - the curved line with the touch of black - the gorgeous paper at the bottom of the card and that big bold saying - WOW - this card really makes an impact!!!

Kim S said...

LOVE the brilliant colors of your sponged background topped with the simple black and white. A fabulous look - and just right for #200!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Totally GORGEOUS, I LOVE it (want it too....) But maybe I will just CASE it, TOO AMAZING!!!! Love it Karren!!! So happy for the FMS 200th, Yay, I ADORE playing along with you guys when I can!!!!
-Hugs
-Kimberly Wiener