Sunday 4 January 2015

Vintage Birthday

Hi and welcome!  I'm thrilled to be a Guest Designer at The Paper Players for the next few months!  Our first challenge of the year really had me thinking:


I recycle our household waste, but I don't generally recycle card-making stuff, so working out what to do proved to be a bit of a challenge at first.  I then came up with the idea of using some recycled corrugated cardboard and some pretty pink paper a bunch of flowers was wrapped in that was presented to me on my last day of work.



My card has a Crumb Cake card base and some First Edition patterned paper which was grunged up by over-stamping with the Hardwood background stamp in Fog ink, then stamping some of the images from Grunge Me using Crumb Cake ink.  Once that was done, I distressed and sponged the edges.

The flower was made using some floral paper that has the texture of interfacing (I have no idea what it's called!).  I die-cut several scallop circles and wet them before scrunching them up.  Once they were dry, I opened them out and stacked them together.  

The banner was white embossed with a birthday greeting and some silver thread was positioned behind the flower.




Thanks so much for visiting.  Be sure to check out the wonderful inspiration from the rest of the design team.

Products used:

Stamps:  Birthday Bash Sentiments (PTI), Grunge Me (PTI), Hardwood (SU)
Ink:  Versamark, Fog (SSS), Crumb Cake (SU)
Cardstock:  Crumb Cake, First Edition paper, corrugated cardboard, pink tissue paper
Accessories:  Silver thread, Fishtail Flag Stax (MFT), Scallop Circle dies (Spellbinder)

Cheers
Karren

19 comments:

Samra said...

WOW! What a shabby beauty this is!!! Gorgeous design Karren! And the color combo is fantastic!

Rita W said...

This is fabulous!! I love it so much.

...off to find cardboard...

Linda Callahan said...

This is fabulous.....love the contrast of the sweet pink flower and the cardboard!

Debbie Mageed said...

I love your combination of shabby and chic to make your gorgeous card! Tissue paper has lots of great uses that it just can't be tossed away. Beautiful!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Welcome to the Paper Players Karren - I have long been an admirer of your work and I am so glad you are guesting with us for a while! Love your card today - definitely less shabby and more chic! A great way to extra use out of those cardboard boxes that my supplies arrive in!

Unknown said...

Such a pretty recycled flower! I would NEVER have thought of that...it's so beautiful!! I love the silver thread behind it and how all of that together just makes it pop off of the background! The background itself has so many wonderful details...very shabby chic and gorgeous!!

Becca Cruger said...

Everything about this is perfection. That bright pop of pink against that rustic background... stunning! And you MADE that flower?!? It's so soft and dreamy. This is definitely going on my Pinterest board for future inspiration!

Jen Mitchell said...

This is deliciously grungy! I love the rough texture of the corrugated cardboard, especially paired with the elegant pink flower.

Ann Schach said...

Absolutely stunning, Karren! I love the contrast of the feminine flower against the grunge of the cardboard! WOW! Welcome to the team!

KimCreate said...

Love that corragated cardboard and the lovely pink flower!

laurie said...

Such clever use of your recycled items, I LOVE that flower...beautiful! So fun to be working with you at The Paper Players!

stampwithsandy said...

Great contrast of textures, and great use of recycled items, Karren! What I love the most though is your over-stamping of the background paper. Gorgeous!

LeAnne said...

Be still, my vintage-lovin' heart! That flower is just incredible....and it looks so fresh against the shabby corrugated piece...so much texture and fuN!

Bonnie said...

Love this frilly pink flower with the vintage look! Makes me think of a prom dress my sister had!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Absolutely vintage beauty! I just adore this card Karren!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Hi Karren! I absolutely love your card and your creative use of the recycled items. Bonnie mentioned her sister's prom dress in the comments above and it is funny, because I immediately thought of the movie "Pretty in Pink" when I saw your gorgeous flower. So pretty! So glad to have you join us as a Guest Designer! Looking forward to working with you. Big hugs! :)

Claire Broadwater said...

Karren, your card is fabulous! I thought about the corrugated cardboard and then I saw your card! It adds fabulous texture. That pink flower made me smile! It is just gorgeous on your grungy background! So creative! I am thrilled to be working with you at PP! Congrats on being a GD! XX

Nance Leedy said...

Karren, this is gorgeous!! I love the contrast from the rugged cardboard and the frilly pink flower. The grungy stamping and silver threads are just the perfect amount of detail. Lovely! Thrilled to welcome you to our team as a GD!!

Jaydee said...

Karren, so wonderful to have you on the team and what a great first card! I love the corrugated cardboard with the softness of the flower and Im totally in love with the color scheme, too,
jaydee