Thursday 8 October 2015

Leaves

Hi and welcome!  It's time for another fabulous sketch challenge from the team at Freshly Made Sketches.  This week, the talented Kim Singdahlsen designed the sketch.  Check it out!


I went with a color-blocked card and made my panels by watercoloring on distress inks, including smooshing a tissue into the ink and dabbing it onto the panel - a tip I picked up from Shannon Jaramillo and modified slightly.  I think that provides a bit of extra dimension to the panels.


The leaves and branch were cut from my new Fall Foliage thinlets by Tim Holtz.  I sprinkled Brushos onto a manilla tag then die-cut the pieces.  Before adhering them, I sponged the edges with Ground Espresso distress ink.  The sentiment is white embossed onto a thin black strip of cardstock.  A tiny little twine bow finished my card.


Thanks for visiting.  The rest of the design team have interpreted Kim's sketch in some wonderful ways, so be sure to check them out.

I'm entering this card in the current Autumn challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

Products used:

Stamps:  Persian Motifs (Altenew)
Ink:  Versamark, Wild Honey, Fired Brick, Forest Moss, Ground Espresso
Cardstock:  Black, Desert Storm, watercolor, manila tag
Accessories:  Tim Holtz Fall Foliage dies, Brushos, White EP, twine

Cheers
Karren


12 comments:

Susanne Vargas said...

Oh my, is this gorgeous! Will have to try this technique!

Linda Callahan said...

You are the queen of inking! This is beautiful! Love all the smooshing and inking and dabbing! And those leaves look amazingly real!

Bonnie said...

Love the look of these panels and how the black borders make the softer colors look so vibrant! A beautiful contrast with the leaves!

Amy O said...

I love the bright color blocks and those leaves are amazing! I really wish New Zealand wasn't half way around the world and I could come learn techniques from you. Oh, that would be so fun!

Jen Timko said...

Oh those leaves. The little details on them make them look so real. Like they are ready to crumple under some boots. And then those panels... I'm with Amy. I just want to come watch you create!

Jen Brum said...

Beautiful card Karren! I love those colours! They are so beautiful! Those leaves are amazing too! This will definitely delight someone!!!

Jen Mitchell said...

I have no words to describe how much I love those die cut leaves. The colors are amazing and believe me when I say that descriptor is totally inadequate. This card is just full of texture and dimension and yet I know it's all but a few layers. Brava, my friend.

Kim S said...

This is stunning in every way! The dimension you created on those watercolor panels is amazing - and the trio of colors is lovely. I love the colors on the die cuts!

Diane Jaquay said...

Love the watercolor color blocking on your card, and the rustic leaves are perfect!!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

What a fantastic card! I really love how you've mixed those geometric panels with the rustic leaves. The way you created the backgrounds for both the panels and the leaves is inspiring and you are definitely a "tissue smooshing master." Love the colors and the variety between the panels and the bright pops of ink on the leaves. This is a beautiful and refreshing project and I'm so glad you shared it with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Cindy Hall said...

Wow! This is beautiful, Karren! Your background technique is amazing and the leaves are awesome, too!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh I just love this! I adore this combo of colours and I am in awe of those leaves and the realness you've given them!