Thursday 8 October 2015

Remember the Now

Hi!  I've got a couple of days off work and what better than to spend some of that time stamping!  I made a card for several challenges that I'd like to show you.  I used the sketch at Fab Friday, the colors from Color Throwdown, the neutrals theme at Card Concept and the buttons theme at Cardz for Guyz.

I went with a different style to my usual CAS and I guess you'd call this Shabby Chic.


I started off by stamping a Paper Artsy collage image onto a sheet of watercolor paper using Grout Grey ink, which made a very, very light impression and was the look I was going for.  I then tore the edges and sponged Antique Linen all over the panel, concentrating on the edges.  The watercolor panel underneath was lightly sponged with Weathered Wood distress ink and I then stamped some first and second generation splatters on using my new CTMH Ink Blot stamp set.  I used an off-cut from that panel for the sentiment, which was stamped in Slate ink as I didn't want a stark black ink on the card.

Pulling it all together, I decided to add some sewing, so I sewed two deliberately wonky lines all around the edges on the Desert Storm base and also stitched the sentiment panel onto the card as well.  I threaded a button with some of the same thread and glued that to the card.


Thanks for visiting.

Cardz 4 Guyz Logo




Products used:

Stamps:  Hot Pick 1305 (Paper Artsy), #Hashtags (Stampers Anonymous), Ink Blot (CTMH)
Ink:  Grout Grey (MFT), Slate (SSS), Antique Linen, Weathered Wood (Distress)
Cardstock:  Desert Storm, watercolor
Accessories:  Button, sewing machine

Cheers
Karren

Edited to Add:  This card got a shout out at Card Concept.

14 comments:

Julie Gearinger said...

Love your shabby chic card!! The distressing looks great as well as the stitching, button and that fun sentiment- thanks for playing along with us at The Card Concept!!

Cazro said...

I do like your distressed card. Some great ideas, loving the button. Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz DT

Julie B said...

Great combination of challenges here Karren, the little button works really well in this 'shabby chic design.
Thanks for sharing at Cardz4Guyz. :)

JayBe said...

A super CAS design - love those distressed edges - thanx for sharing with us at Cardz 4 Guyz.
Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

Wanda Cullen said...

Love the vintage feel to this card and your stitched details are a great touch as well! Thanks for playing along with us at Color Throwdown!

Joan said...

Super shabby chic card

Thanks for joining us at cardz4guyz this week

Joan

Michele K. Henderson said...

Great shabby chic take of the inspiration photo! Very creative! Thanks for playing along with us over at The Card Concept!
Take care!
Michele

Jenelle said...

So pretty! I love the antiquing and distressing of the top layer and the water coloring of the layer underneath it! They go together beautifully :)

Claire said...

I wouldn't have picked this as one of your cards Karren - maybe your new style? Looks wonderful!

Lori said...

Great take on a shabby chic design! Thanks for joining us at the Color Throwdown!

SewPaperPaint said...

Such a gorgeous card!

Amanda Mertz said...

I love the shabby chic but with the modern twist of the hashtag sentiment...neat combo! The stitching really sets off the different layers! Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!

Brian King said...

Karren - what a gorgeous combination of vintage and modern! Love this card! Thank you so much for playing along with this Fab Friday sketch challenge!

AB. said...

I love the eclectic look to your card...and still it is delicate and simple. Amazing work. Thanks for joining us at The Card Concept. :)