Monday 27 January 2014

Marilyn

For my second card today, I'm going in a different direction from my last CAS card.  The lovely Narelle challenged me to go shabby chic for challenge No. 2 at The Card Concept.  So here goes my second submission for The Card Concept's texture challenge:


I decided to play along with the challenge colors at Dynamic Duos and its dessert option of umbrella.  I was looking through my stamp catalogue looking for umbrella stamps and came across a selection of photo stamps I've had for years and years.  I thought this image of Marilyn would look suitably vintage/shabby chic.  I love this stamp from Stampsmith - I had a quick look on their website but couldn't see this image nor a brilliant one of Audrey Hepburn that I've also got.  Photo stamps aren't the easiest to stamp because they are so finely detailed but it's so worth it.  This really looks like a photo cut out of an old newspaper.


I lightly colored Marilyn's dress using a Melon Mambo marker and layered it onto a piece of Very Vanilla.  Further texture was added using some flocked paper from Mocha Morning DSP, some torn DSP from Newsprint and Brights DSP and some colored Vanilla Trim Flowers.  Some black twine and a paper clip finish off my card.


So, in summary, I couldn't find an umbrella for the dessert option at Dynamic Duos, but I really love this card anyway :)

Thanks for looking.


Products used:

Stamps:  Stampsmith
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Crumb Cake, Melon Mambo
Cardstock:  Basic Black, Mocha Morning DSP, Brights DSP, Newsprint DSP, Very Vanilla, Xpress-it
Accessories:  American Crafts twine, paper clip, Vanilla Flower Trim, Melon Mambo Marker

Cheers
Karren

12 comments:

Narelle Farrugia said...

I must be getting old because I can't even remember challenging you! What an absolutely fabulous card! I just love this Marilyn image and thought you'd used an old photo. Her dress looks wonderful coloured in and the addition of the ribbon trim flowers are the perfect touch. I've got a question though - how many stamps do you have??? I don't think I've ever seen you use the same set twice!

Karen Dunbrook said...

cool card...

Cheryl said...

beautiful!

Bonnie said...

This is amazing, Karren! A work of art!

Darnell said...

Oh, yeah, there you have it. That's texture, folks, all a delight in this pretty pink and black card! Well done, Karren!! Enjoy the day! Hugs, Darnell

JD/ Jill said...

Pretty card!

Julie Gearinger said...

This is fantastic!! Love the enhanced photo with the Melon Mambo marker and all of your fabulous details!! What a great textural card for the Card Concept Challenge and thanks for playing along with this week's Dynamic Duos challenge as well :-)

Unknown said...

So pretty Karren. I love that you did the inside of the card too. I never think to do this. Thanks for joining us at The Card Concept.

Teresa Kline said...

fabulous, so glad you played along with us at Card Concept!

sparkle & shine *~*

Angel Johns said...

Very pretty and such attention to detail! Thanks for playing along with us at Dynamic Duos!

Geri said...

Seriously? This is a stamp? I honestly have NEVER seen an image like this! Absolutely incredible job inking it up and achieving a perfect result!

Adding the color to the stamped image - sheer creative genius! You totally nailed 'Shabby Chic' and texture with this amazing card!

Wow...gotta say it again...that stamped image is incredible! I'm thrilled that you shared your talent with us at the Card Concept Challenge :)

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE this card!! Thanks for playing along with us over at Dynamic Duos!!!