Thursday 16 January 2014

Rock Salt Background


Welcome back to another Freshly Made Sketch challenge.   I can't believe the amazing response to Jen's sketch last week. Let's see how many have a go at this on-trend sketch from Cindy Lovell.




The angled panel is really popular right now - helped along I think by a set of dies available.  I don't have any dies, so cut my own shape.  This was easy to do - I took a rectangle and placed it on the card front at the angle I wanted it, then carefully flipped the card over and drew a pencil line around the card base on the back which I then used as my cutting lines.

However, before I took that step, I tried a new-to-me technique - Rock Salt Background.  I found this on Pinterest in one of those "pins you might be interested in" emails.  Basically you pour some rock salt onto your cardstock and run it through the Big Shot between two cutting plates.  You then scrape the salt off and you have a lovely background.  It's hard to see in the photo, but I did this to both the Whisper White angled panel and the Rose Red banner.  Here's a close-up:



For my cupcake, I stamped it in Brilliance ink onto Whisper White cardstock and colored it using Copics.  I then went over the frosting with my 2-way glue pen and sprinkled on some Dazzling Diamonds glitter.  The sentiment stamp was inked up in Versamark then in Island Indigo before being clear-embossed.

Another simple inside, but hey, at least it's another card with its insides done LOL.




Thanks for looking.  Do go check out the rest of the DT cards - they're all stunning as usual.

Products used:

Stamps:  Birthday Cupcake (Inkadinkado), Birthday Bash Sentiments (PTI)
Ink:  Versarmark, Brilliance Graphite Black, Island Indigo
Cardstock:  Island Indigo, Rose Red, Whisper White
Accessories:  Dazzling Diamonds, 2-way glue pen, rock salt, copics

Cheers
Karren





9 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

I do love cupcakes......especially the no calorie sparkly kind! I never heard of the rock salt technique......love it's random pattern!

Jen Brum said...

Great card Karren! I love that sparkly cupcake! That's the kind I would want for my birthday! Rock salt technique you say! I think I'll have to investigate more!!! Sounds fun and looks great!

Jen Mitchell said...

Rock salt? Who would have thought?!?!! It does create a pretty interesting texture - and it looks great with that yummy, sparkly cupcake!

Narelle Farrugia said...

There you go with your techniques again! That cupcake looks good enough to eat - I love cupcakes and if it wasn't so hot, I'd make some right now!

Karen Davis said...

The rock salt gives an amazing texture Karren, and looks so good on the card. Love the colours.

Amy O said...

What a yummy cupcake! I love the sparkly frosting, and the fabulous color combo on the card. Great card, Karren!

Darnell said...

Yummo, Karren, your sparkly cupcake has me licking my monitor!! What a cool background is left from applying the rock salt!! It's always fun to try new things and now I've written this on my list of things to try, so thank you! Hugs, Darnell

Cindy Lovell said...

Fabulous card,Karren!!! The cupcake looks so pretty and i love the rock salt technique!! Awesome!!

karen h said...

Awesome card; love the style! What a cool technique - thanks for sharing that!