Thursday 2 January 2014

Masculine Chevrons

There's a new color challenge blog in town called Colour Me and I decided to join in their first color challenge.  I combined that challenge with another new-to-me challenge called Sunday Stamps.



There's a funny story behind this card.  I was using my Charming Chevrons set from CTMH again and I lined up the acrylic stamps on my grid paper before placing my acrylic block on top.  I inked up the stamps in Island Indigo ink and carefully stamped them onto the Whisper White.  None of the detail in the stamps came out and I figured it was because the ink pad was too juicy.  So to fix that problem, I inked up the stamps in Basic Black and over-stamped, thinking that would give me a nice two-tone look.  Still no detail.  It wasn't until I picked up the acrylic block to clean the stamps that I realised I'd put the stamps on upside down and I was merrily inking the back side!  Doh!  

I actually quite liked the resulting look so I flicked some water drops over to grunge it up a bit and had a new look!  In keeping with the sketch, I hand-stitched through the centre of the chevrons.  

And that's my card - not quite how I envisaged it, but I like it anyway!  Thanks for looking and best wishes to the Colour Me team.




Products used:

Stamps:  Charming Chevrons (CTMH), Sassy Salutations (SU)
Ink:  Island Indigo, Basic Black, Versafine Onyx Black
Cardstock:  Island Indigo, Basic Black, Whisper White
Accessories:  Paper Piercing template, thread, needle

Cheers
Karren

Edited to Add:  This card was a top pick at Sunday Stamps.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a FABulous masculine card you have come up with today. I love the chevrons and of course the sassy sentiment totally rocks. Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at Colour Me...! & Sunday Stamps, we sure hope to see you back again soon :)

Katie Melhus said...

Ah...the best laid plans, eh? Even if it's not what you had in mind it sure paid off! I love the bold focal image, the stitching and the simple look to it all, perfect for a guy :) So glad you joined us at Colour Me...! this week!

OttawaMom said...

Fabulous use of our challenge colour and I love the added detail the stitching provides. Thanks so much for sharing with us at both Colour Me...! and Sunday Stamps!

Tara Bourgoin said...

If only all 'mistakes' could look so good!! haha :) I think it came out fabulously - I love the two-tone look to the chevrons and the stitching down the centre (great touch!). Thanks for joining us at Colour Me...! for our first challenge!

Bonnie said...

Don't you love it when you come up with something totally different from what you intended and you like it! What a wonderful masculine card!

NJ Stamping Queen said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful card and the delightful story of how you "adapted" the underside of the stamp to create something new. It didn't look like the Charming Chevron stamp set I have and now I know why. This is a terrific masculine card! Thanks for playing along with us at Sunday Stamps this fortnight--hope you will join us again soon!
:) Marie

Kathya said...

Love the simple and clean clean look of your card. Great way to combine both challenges. Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps, hope you will join us again.

Anita in France said...

What a great masculine card, Karren ... the bold colour against the white is fabulous ... don't you love it when those 'design moments' turn into something wonderful! Anita :)

Brenda L. said...

Great mistake! Wish mine looked that good!

JaynEryn said...

I love the way the chevrons turned out! Nice!

jjcreations said...

What a fabulous card! I love how you're chevrons turned out. A perfect masculine card, yet could be used for anyone. Thanks for playing along with us at Sunday Stamps.

Hofkissed said...

What a great masculine card! Your chevrons do look great and love the stitching detail. Thanks for playing along with us at Sunday Stamps!

hollybeary creations said...

I have this set in my stash and I haven't used it yet.. I love the cool effect you achieved even if it was a boo boo. It looks Fab! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps!